Author Topic: A Few Simple Questions  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Matthias

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Amulet of the Illuvari [HARP Campaign]
A Few Simple Questions
« on: June 09, 2008, 06:10:38 PM »
Just looking for some clarification on the following:

1. Disengaging From Melee

Aside from the Combat Action of the same name, what other options for leaving melee exist (the Combat Action makes reference to other skills). Is this referring to actions like an Acrobatic Tumble or perhaps a spell that moves you? Also how many combatants can one attack kept engaged at a time?

2. Movement and Stun

I know there is a -50 penalty for all maneuvers when stunned, and I see the difficultly of maneuvers increases when moving at increased speeds - but is there any restriction on movement (distance and/or speed) when a character is stunned?

3. Boomerang

Is this a one shot missile attack? Does it return if it hits? If so - when does it return?

4. Healing Spells

When healing spells say they heal "up to one half of the target's concussion hits" - I am assuming that means one half of their max hits? Otherwise you run into a nesting problem. Are there any good house rules out there for randomizing healed amounts?

5. Base Movement Rate

We are using a typical 1" battlemat and miniatures for resolving combat. This creates somewhat of an issue when characters have odd Base Movement Rates like 11'. How do people deal with this in the tactical/mini environment? We came up with the idea of rounding to the nearest 5' increment and then adjusting that character's initiative bonus accordingly (i.e 11 BMR would be 10' movement and +1 to inititaive) (i.e 8 BMR would be 10' movement and -2 to initiative). Non-combat actions and normal movement would of course not be effected.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 06:13:23 PM by Matthias »
:: The Amulet of the Illuvari :: A HARP Campaign

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
Re: A Few Simple Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 06:38:34 PM »
Hi Matthias,

1.  All sorts of methods are possible, but I've played in games where people only want to allow 'certain" types or else the attacker gets a free melee attack against the opponent (a carryover from their RM days). The possibilities are: Levitation or Fly spells would enable to defender to move outside of the attackers reach and thus "disengage them from melee". Even with this so called "free attack" rule, their weapon wont reach and they cant be hit. Simple physics stuff - this game is designed to be used with our knowledge of science so just run with what you (the GM) thinks.

2. No, but I believe that any movement faster than a run requires a moving maneuver so it makes it quite hard.

3. Attack Boomerangs are one shot weapons - they do not return. Returning Boomerangs have a more pronounced bend in them and designed for a slower, rounder flight, whereas attacking boomerangs have less of a bend and are designed to cut through the air to hit the target.

4. Yes, Healing hits is based upon their Max Hits/Total Endurance Bonus.

5. Normally we use 5' to 1" and round to 5' increments, but the better way is to use 1" = 3'. The rounding is better and is more in line with 1" = 1 Meter (for modern people). We don't modify initiative though.

Hope that helps!
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 07:44:16 PM »
Numbers 1-4: Basically, just what Jason said, so no need to repeat.

#5 - http://shop.ironcrown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_10&products_id=185 contains the rules for what you are wanting, including converting movement to hexes, and a table to aid in converting the BMR...

Offline Matthias

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 08:05:38 PM »
Thanks again.

I think Battlemaster is the only HARP product I haven't seen - I'll have to check it out.

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 07:24:23 AM »
To 2) HARP core rulebook page 95, the last sentence in the Stunned section says: "Movement is limited to one-half BMR, maximum Pace of Run."
So, I would call this a very strict limitation to movement :)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 07:38:48 AM »
To 2) HARP core rulebook page 95, the last sentence in the Stunned section says: "Movement is limited to one-half BMR, maximum Pace of Run."
So, I would call this a very strict limitation to movement :)

Good Catch...  ;D

Offline Matthias

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 01:23:41 PM »
I looked all over for that sentence - thought I had seen something like that at one point, but I couldn't find it. Thanks.

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »
but the better way is to use 1" = 3'. The rounding is better and is more in line with 1" = 1 Meter (for modern people).

I always liked 1" (or square/hex) = 6' (2 meters).  3' (1 meter) is just too small; especially when you're drawing your own maps.  They end up being huge at that scale.

Although, I would also prefer that we had gone with a base 12 numerical system rather than the, IMO, inferior base 10.

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 06:33:30 PM »
Thats why we play with 1"=5' - it saves having to get a small football field to draw any decently large combat rooms.
Especially since we have 5 players and thus almost always a min of 3 Bad Guys so putting a bit of space between us and them requires a big area...
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com