Author Topic: Partial success for adrenal skills ?  (Read 3564 times)

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Partial success for adrenal skills ?
« on: May 23, 2008, 08:25:09 AM »
If someone gets a partial success (say, 20%) for a skill like adrenal strength, does it fail, or do you give the character 20% of the bonus

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Partial success for adrenal skills ?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 08:50:04 AM »
You didn't mention which version of RM you are talking about, and didn't post this into one of the forums for a specific version. Therefore, I am going to presume that you are talking about RMC, and answer the question from that perspective.

Note: If you are referring to Adrenal Strength from RMSS/FRP, then the answer may be different. I did not consult those products before delivering the following answer.

Okay, I am going to presume that you are referring specifically to the General column of the Alternative Static Maneuver table (10-05 on page 139 of RMC Character Law).

The core rule for a Static Maneuver (RMC Character Law, page 138) is that it requires a result of 100+ or it fails.

For Adrenal Strength, the skill description gives 2 possible results, success or failure. Thus, I would say that the skill would not be one that the "Partial Success" from the SM table would apply to.

However, if YOU, as GM, want to give a partial result, that is quite acceptable and fully YOUR choice. Just be aware that it means more math to figure out what 20% of the hits done are and to apply them (20% of +10 to OB would equal +2).

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 10:33:16 AM »
If someone gets a partial success (say, 20%) for a skill like adrenal strength, does it fail, or do you give the character 20% of the bonus

I would interpret it as a 20% of success: next round character can decide to stop (aborting the manuenver) or to continue trying. He can continue to do so until he reaches a total % of 100%+ or until he fails.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 11:10:13 AM »
I would interpret it as a 20% of success: next round character can decide to stop (aborting the manuenver) or to continue trying. He can continue to do so until he reaches a total % of 100%+ or until he fails.

The rules clearly state that Adrenal Moves may not be attempted on consecutive rounds.  That means that they may not be attempted on consecutive rounds.

That would mean that the following is how things would have to go:

Round 1: Prepare/Attempt Adrenal Move (succeed)
Round 2: Use successful Adrenal Move
Round 3: Prepare/Attempt Adrenal Move (fail roll)
Round 4: do something else
Round 5: Prepare/Attempt Adrenal Move (etc..)

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »
I did actually mean SS/FRP, sorry. But it makes sense that its all or nothing, which is how we ran it, just to avoid the math

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 07:26:37 PM »
 On page 187 of RMSS it has the result in the chart. It basicly says it does not function and you can roll again next round.

But again its your game and you could try it out for a couple of sessions to see how it works. Just have a calculator ready to multiply your damage by 1.x .
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 09:27:05 AM »
We were wanting to reduce the math a bit (heresy, I know :) ) so we'll propably just do it as "all or nothing".

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 04:45:03 AM »

The rules clearly state that Adrenal Moves may not be attempted on consecutive rounds.  That means that they may not be attempted on consecutive rounds.

That would mean that the following is how things would have to go:

Round 1: Prepare/Attempt Adrenal Move (succeed)
Round 2: Use successful Adrenal Move
Round 3: Prepare/Attempt Adrenal Move (fail roll)
Round 4: do something else
Round 5: Prepare/Attempt Adrenal Move (etc..)

Ah, sorry, I was thinking in RMFRP terms, but I forgot to say it.  :(
My interpretation is not even canonic by RMFRP rules, but I use it basically to help low-level characters doing things.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 06:53:29 PM »
 IMO the all or nothing is a good way to go. That is unless you are playing in a martial arts heavy setting.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 08:35:48 PM »
The only bennie to using partial successes is that it makes the skill more useful at low levels, since you can creep up to fully using it. (Rather than allowing 20% effectiveness, I'd require the character to keep trying until they get 100% total)

If Grand Master Yo can call on adrenal strength casually with 10 seconds of prep, it makes sense that back when he was Neophyte Yo, he might have needed to try for a minute before he was able to pull it off.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com