Author Topic: abolished martial arts styles  (Read 2442 times)

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
abolished martial arts styles
« on: May 17, 2008, 08:23:16 AM »
hi there.

found two ma styles in http://www.harphq.com/free_downloads/HARPindex.pdf but not in harp revised core book.

i'm interested in 'praying mantis style' and 'long fist style'.
can anyone post some core rules (skill descriptions) of these two styles for me?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: abolished martial arts styles
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 09:06:09 AM »
Here is how they read originally...

Parying Mantis Style (Ag): This style emphasizes grasping, clawing, and punching attacks in conjunctions with parrying any incoming attack
Mechanics:A character must parry every round when using this style. If the character is using no more than one quarter his OB to parry, then the amount used is doubled before it is applied to his Defensive Bonus (DB). After doubling, the bonus to DB cannot exceed 50. Practitioners of this style also use the Grapple Table rather than the Sweeps table.
Example:Kailo has an OB of 120 in the Praying Mantis stle. He puts 30 points of that into parrying. This gives Kailo a bonus to this DB of +50 (30 x 2 = 60, rounded down to 50), the maximum allowed for use with this style. It also leaves an OB of 90 for making attacks.

Long Fist (St): This style emphasizes strong kicks, punches and sweeps.
Mechanics:Practitioners of this style gain a +5 modifier on the Martial Arts Critical Tables if their attack is successful. For every ten ranks in the style, the character receives an additional +5 modifier.

As I was typing the above out, I realized that the Praying Mantis style would be better if it read that the first 25 points moved from OB to DB were doubled. Thus the 30 devoted to parrying would give a bonus to DB of +55 (25 x 2 = 50 + 5 (30 - 25 = 5) = 55). Because as it  stood then, it put a cap on parrying on the style and in retrospect, it shouldn't have done that.

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: abolished martial arts styles
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 09:29:05 AM »
thx Rasyr