Author Topic: Switching base lists ?  (Read 4050 times)

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Switching base lists ?
« on: May 12, 2008, 07:45:53 PM »
So one of my prospective players wants a character that is a fey-touched knight type.. mostly similar to a paladin but with some very minor animal magic to show his fey touch.

I thought about just switching one or two of the paladin lists to a more fitting animist or ranger one.. anyone have experience with this sort of thing ?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Switching base lists ?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 08:32:23 PM »
Shouldn't be too much of a problem. Basically you are creating a new profession by tweaking an existing one, which is pretty much the way that RM2 did it...

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 08:35:44 PM »
yeah. The skill costs and whatnot for the paladin seems fine with what the guy has in mind, so its just the spells that needs a bit of moving abouts.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:39:14 PM »
 As long as the GM says ok and thinks about balane I think it is fine. I allow the Ranger profession to switch lists as I put some penalties on how the list works. ie not people around then they can summon animals but the more people around the animal gets incleased saves because of all the people.
 Any way it has worked very well for my game and provides a bit of a mix up for long time players or to the delight of new players.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:44:32 AM »
We usually require a Background Option/10 Talent Points to be spent for creating a character with Base Lists off the norm (1 BO per switched list). And of course the lists require GM approval. But other than that we have no limitations.

Offline Joshua24601

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 03:39:55 AM »
Just be sure that the new lists you give him aren't excessively powerful... The paladins lists are relatively weak (unless battling an 'enemy') which offsets that they are really good fighters for semi-spell users.  But you can also tweak things to balance as you go.

Another option is to use talent points to give him a list.  If your using talent points this method actually makes the most sense to me.  One of his background character elements is that he's Fey touched.  If your not planning on doing traditional talents, you could give him his extra list, but also give him flaws (to reach a total of 0).  Perhaps being fey touched makes him hunted, or gives him a distinctive feature (silver streak though is hair, or unusual eyes).

------------------------

On a side note, the essence companion has a list for summoning Fey's, and even bonding with them... this could be an interesting list for your Pallie.  For that matter, if he is a Fey Touched Paladin.. is he serving a god?... might he be an Essence user?
The day that our schools are well funded and the Airforce has to hold a bake sale to buy a new bomber, will be a good day!

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 09:31:19 AM »
Very cool idea!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 04:21:34 PM »
 Also I do not remember what book it is in but I think it is the Chan Comp, but take a look at the combat healer TP and some of the other TP that give spell lists to people who buy the TP. They can be a big help to any Pal, Rang or arms type.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Kalu

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 05:25:45 PM »
We usually require a Background Option/10 Talent Points to be spent for creating a character with Base Lists off the norm (1 BO per switched list).
Another option is to use talent points to give him a list. If your using talent points this method actually makes the most sense to me. One of his background character elements is that he's Fey touched. If your not planning on doing traditional talents, you could give him his extra list, but also give him flaws (to reach a total of 0).
If the character concept is a natural part of the setting, I don't think that background options/talent points should be required for conforming to that norm. If the concept is outside the norm, though, some price to pay seems necessary to "retain" balance.

In other words, don't punish players for lacks in the system when fitting it to your game setting! 8)

//K
Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 12:21:59 AM »
That makes sense, Kalu. Nevertheless IMHO it is better to have a rule in place that requires BOs to be spent and to make an exception (in the sense of not requiring the BOs) if the player has a good character concept than to have it the other way around. I have more often seen players just switching a list they simply disliked and thought useless than players which tossed out a powerful list to include one that fits a good concept.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 02:50:20 AM »
You have 6 base spell lists for semi-spell users, basically you are free to create new profession using other templates (in this case paladin) and changing what you need.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 09:37:22 AM »
The paladins lists are relatively weak (unless battling an 'enemy') which offsets that they are really good fighters for semi-spell users.

??? IMHO Paladin's lists are quite powerful...

You have 6 base spell lists for semi-spell users, basically you are free to create new profession using other templates (in this case paladin) and changing what you need.

True, you can look in Channeling Companion and use the semi-user priest template with the lists you want to customize the character as you want!
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 06:53:21 PM »
That makes sense, Kalu. Nevertheless IMHO it is better to have a rule in place that requires BOs to be spent and to make an exception (in the sense of not requiring the BOs) if the player has a good character concept than to have it the other way around. I have more often seen players just switching a list they simply disliked and thought useless than players which tossed out a powerful list to include one that fits a good concept.
Well, this is not the player asking. Its me trying to think of a way to let him have the character he is picturing. My players arent familiar with the system much or, in this guys case, at all.

So Im not too worried about power gaming. We'll get to that later on ;)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 10:13:10 PM »
 The other thing is how long a game is it going to be? 1month, 6 months a year? If it is a one shot adventure then go for it or even a 6mon campaign. Just tell the players you are testing out some rule changes and go from there.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 11:37:49 PM »
2-3 months at least. THis is going to be our first real Rolemaster game, so everyone is aware things might not be as set in stone yet.