Author Topic: Arcane Companion for RMC  (Read 4513 times)

Offline fiolnir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Arcane Companion for RMC
« on: February 28, 2008, 01:21:48 PM »
So who has some cool ideas for converting the RMSS Arcane Companion to RMC/X?  There is a wealth of neat material in that book.  How could the Arcane professions be converted to RMC?  Treat the Arcanist and Wizard as hybrids? Pure? What realm? and not to mention the chaotic (were does he fit in?)?

Obviously RM2/C treats Arcane magic differently then RMSS/RMFRP, but the four professions (and their spell lists) provided in the Arcane Companion are way to cool (atleast I think so) to be lost in the dying RMSS.

I have some ideas, but certainly need help from others for "advice" or just plain inspiration.

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
Re: Arcane Companion for RMC
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 01:27:12 PM »
 Well, thats truly bizzar.......

I have been stealling stuff for our RM2/Comps groupe from Arcaine Comp for years and never noticed it was part of the Standard System we had rejected. ;D

Maybe thats beacuse as GM, most lists are available if the source and conditions are right. (NO BUBBLE MAGIC!!!!!!)
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline fiolnir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 01:59:35 PM »
AS FURTHER EXAMPLE:  Take the "mage hunter" profession and put em in the "Shadow World"...
   The PCs stumble across some old lore pertaining to the "true essence" of magic of old (arcane magic). The party's magician blows some DPs to learn a portion of an Arcane Spell List.  Sometime later, the powers that be, catch wind that a mortal has learned "to much".  Maybe the loremasters, or a lord of Ohran, or something much older or evil, dispatches a mage hunter to deal with the magician that "knows to much".
   How would the mage hunter profession from RMSS Arcane Companion translate to RMC/X?  What realm would he belong to?  And how would you convert the profession following the "RMSS to RMC" conversion guide?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 04:57:14 PM »
Hey, I like the Bubble Magic list.  It is one of my standard fey spell list.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 10:31:27 PM »
I would probably make a Magehunter Essence, with costs like a ranger, save for Stalk/hide should be changed to 2/7 and magical skills like a Bard OR a Bard with special skills like a Ranger. Stats would be Em/Co

Mmmm Void Magic ... as for Arcanist why not just make him into a Magician with difference lists?
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 01:24:02 AM »
Yeah, there is always that choice. Create a new profession or use an old one with a little twist.

Offline fiolnir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:48:59 PM »
I would probably make a Magehunter Essence, with costs like a ranger, save for Stalk/hide should be changed to 2/7 and magical skills like a Bard OR a Bard with special skills like a Ranger. Stats would be Em/Co

Mmmm Void Magic ... as for Arcanist why not just make him into a Magician with difference lists?

Those are very good ideas...  use the "magician" profession for the Arcanist and Wizard, but swap the base list for the appropriate profession from Arcane Companion RMSS, and treat all other arcane lists (open and closed) like a regular arcane list from the old RM2 companions.  Its so easy...

Okay... what about the Chaotic!??!  I was thinking of treating this profession similar to the arch-mage from RM2 companion I, with spell lists costing twice as much... but I dont know! The chaotic is like a "Rogue" on arcane crack... AC RMSS doesnt even mention if the Chaotic is a hybrid or semi (Im assuming a semi). 

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 02:20:24 PM »
I seem to recall the Chaotic being a Semi Arcane user, though I dont have my own arcane companion handy at the moment to verify it by looking at his costs or description.
But increasing his costs would hamper him severely even if done by 50%. It might be what it takes though if you make the profession into a tri-realm Semi user. 6/* seems alot to pay for spell lists for a spell user, even if all options are open for him. The differences between the chaotic and the Archmage is the chaotic has his own lists, where the archmage can choose as he pleases.

Isnt the chaotic descriped as a self taught spell user by the way which causes him to have additional spell casting problems ie higher fumple ranges? If so instead of increasing costs you could "just" give him fumble ranges a kick upwards to maybe a flat 10% failure on spells other than his own
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 03:00:02 PM »
I like the Arcane Companion, a lot.

But...the Chaotic is a perfect example of a profession both poorly done and really not needed.

My major gripe is he is supposedly a self taught spell user of the arcane who discovered the power, how to tap and use it, and his spell list, on his own.  So...WHY IS EVERY CHAOTIC THE SAME? 

I mean, they always have the same spell list.  Talk about rediculous.  Self taught indeed.

I would have prefered if rules had simply been presented to create a "Chaotic" spell user who discovers how to tap into the power on his own and is self teaches himself spells from known list, but even if realm spell list are learned, he cast them using arcane power source.

Still, a very useful book with tons of great info, spell list and ideas.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline fiolnir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 03:07:25 PM »
I seem to recall the Chaotic being a Semi Arcane user, though I dont have my own arcane companion handy at the moment to verify it by looking at his costs or description.
But increasing his costs would hamper him severely even if done by 50%. It might be what it takes though if you make the profession into a tri-realm Semi user. 6/* seems alot to pay for spell lists for a spell user, even if all options are open for him. The differences between the chaotic and the Archmage is the chaotic has his own lists, where the archmage can choose as he pleases.

Isnt the chaotic descriped as a self taught spell user by the way which causes him to have additional spell casting problems ie higher fumple ranges? If so instead of increasing costs you could "just" give him fumble ranges a kick upwards to maybe a flat 10% failure on spells other than his own

That is a really good point.  Going with the above notion, what about the Chaotics skill development costs... the profession seems like an odd one to compare to anything in the core books.  Deciding what realm the chaotic belongs to seems to be a problem also.

I have been stewing over this stuff for a while and have not come up with anything I like or is just screaming perfect to me... on the other hand, your ideas, PixeL01, with the Arcanist, Wizard, and Mage Hunter professions are sitting very nicely with my own ideas, and have really rounded the stated professions for my game.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 03:49:45 PM »
The mage hunter, I would tie back to their BG logic.

The "Agent" version:

Like a mage hunter tied to a church, ala the inquisition, I'd base on the Witch Hunter concept. . .so a ranger in base concept, channeling base, using variant anti-magic lists.

A Mage hunter working for a guild, ala an enforcer used on guild members or freelancers in guild territory, I'd call Essence, based on the Monk costs (Or convert the warrior mage as a template)

A Mage hunter working for a mentalist circle would be mentalism. I'd use the Magent (Or the Bard if you don't want to do that)

As to Solo hunter, I'd likely use variations of the above, depending on how they learned magic, and what their source is.

As is, why not just use Brent's converter to convert their costs over directly, then use the lists from the book, directly?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 05:05:29 AM »
But...the Chaotic is a perfect example of a profession both poorly done and really not needed.

My major gripe is he is supposedly a self taught spell user of the arcane who discovered the power, how to tap and use it, and his spell list, on his own.  So...WHY IS EVERY CHAOTIC THE SAME? 

I mean, they always have the same spell list.  Talk about rediculous.  Self taught indeed.

True!
That's way I've made all the Chaotic Base lists Closed Arcane lists and then let the Chaotic choose 4 lists from all Open/Closed Arcane to use as his own "Base" lists.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 07:15:21 AM »
...I've made all the Chaotic Base lists Closed Arcane lists and then let the Chaotic choose 4 lists from all Open/Closed Arcane to use as his own "Base" lists.

I really like that.  Idea point.

lynn

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 06:37:56 AM »
The mage hunter, I would tie back to their BG logic.

The "Agent" version:

Like a mage hunter tied to a church, ala the inquisition, I'd base on the Witch Hunter concept. . .so a ranger in base concept, channeling base, using variant anti-magic lists.

A Mage hunter working for a guild, ala an enforcer used on guild members or freelancers in guild territory, I'd call Essence, based on the Monk costs (Or convert the warrior mage as a template)

A Mage hunter working for a mentalist circle would be mentalism. I'd use the Magent (Or the Bard if you don't want to do that)

As to Solo hunter, I'd likely use variations of the above, depending on how they learned magic, and what their source is.

As is, why not just use Brent's converter to convert their costs over directly, then use the lists from the book, directly?

For a mage hunter working for the church, if you need RM2 costs/spells/etc, I'd recommend the witch hunter (RMCVII?). Both the Mythic (ChaCo) and the Mage Hunter (ArcCo) seem to be based on it.

Offline fiolnir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 02:30:04 PM »
I would like to say thankyou to everyone that has contributed to this post.  A lot of really goods ideas have been expressed, and those ideas have given me a much larger picture on handling material from the RMSS Arcane Companion.
  Again, thankyou
            A..

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 07:44:16 PM »
There is always the option to use the costs of a profession from one of the companions (I to VII) if that is what you want. I chose my solution because i wasnt sure if you had access to them or if you wanted to run a more or less pure RMC session using the 3 core books.

My first thought was actually to use the Warrior Mage costs, but LM is right, Witch hunter is probably the best choice
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 05:32:30 PM »
Is this for RM2?

Isn't their a sleuth or montebanc profession in RM2?  That seems appropriate to mage hunter,,,
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 05:00:06 AM »
Yeah, both of those are in Companion III
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 08:51:15 AM »
A lot depends on which realm, since conversion wise taking a profession and just "switching" it's realm doesn't work too well. A handful of skill costs tie out to realm. . .so often you need to figure out your goal realm first, then build from the closest template within that realm. (Like for an Essence version of a mage hunter, I might use Warrior Mage skill costs with Witch hunter lists, or for a mentalism version use the Nightblade skill costs with the Witch Hunter Lists.)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com