Author Topic: Warhead attacks.  (Read 4059 times)

Offline technophobe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Warhead attacks.
« on: February 16, 2008, 01:28:44 AM »
I think I understand most of what is neccasary to handle vehicle combat. I am a little unsure of warhead attacks however.

According to vehicle manual a torpedo is fired by designating a target and then launching it. no roll is requiered. When it comes time to resolve the attack an attack roll is made adding only the mark number of the torpedo to the roll. Missles would also add the bonus from the number of missles in the volly.

It seems a little under powered to me. a mark ten topedo would only have a +10 to OB. Most fighters have between 60 and 90 to DB not counting combat polot manuver or EW. This means that you would have to roll open ended just to have the torpedo hit the craft. And thats assuming it isn't taken out by point defence or EW. Again missles would fair a little better. A mark 50 torpedo wouls still need to roll double or triple open ended to do close to max damadge against a 90 DB oponent.

Considering most HEAP and projectile weapons have an OB of close to 100 or more this makes torpedos and to a lesser extent missles seem like a wast of money. Am I missing some thing in regards to how warhead attacks work?

Also do torpedos gey bonuses for  firing more than one at the same target. e.g. a gune boat with five torpedo tubes fires five torpedos at another ship. Would you use the same table as missles to and add the bonuse and damadge mode for five missles or resolve five seperate attacks.

Any help would would be appreaciated. Thanks.
Anything conceivable is achievable.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Warhead attacks.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 09:12:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure a torpedo still gets the launching ship's HUD bonus.

Offline Denalor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 02:29:41 AM »
I personally do not like SM:P's rules for misisles or torpedoes, since I find them also too weak.
Further, there is some major confusion concerning missiles and their Mk.

I prefer to add on the rules found in Star Strike
  • Missiles have Mk 6 -10 each, which indicate distance they can travel
  • Unlike cannons Missiles do not get range penalties
  • Missiles first need a lock on. EW respectively are added in that “attack roll”
  • The actual missile attack includes the gunner’s bonus and the HUD
  • DBs vs missiles do not count EW (it has already been applied in the lock-on roll) and do not add Evade bonus either.
  • DBs vs Torpedoes do not count EW and do not add Evade bonus either. And do not count Combat Pilot split allocation !
  • Torpedoes add +50 to their OB

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 07:23:21 PM »
It also depends if the missile/torpedo also has an ATAGS system installed.

ATAGS = Automatic Targeting Acquisition Guidance System.

The old fire and forget it system.  The ATAGS system takes over after having the initial target downloaded into it system.  This is usually done during the firing process.

Then there is the SAIDS, Self Adjusting Inflight Diagnostic System.  This allows a missile/torpedo to acquire a new target if the initial target is either destroyed or disappears (in a Hypershunt, for example).

With ATAGS and SAIDS, you'd have a missile/torpedo that will home in on its target and seek a new one if necessary.

ATAGS and SAIDS can come in a variety of bonuses ranging from +0 to +200 (perhaps higher), depending upon the volume and money willing to spend on each missile/torpedo.

Each +1 of each system adds 0.01 to the missile/torpedo volume and 100 elcreds to each missile/torpedo.  Most often, only Imperial forces can afford large bonuses for each missile/torpedo.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.