Author Topic: Developer's Journal  (Read 75054 times)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: Developer's Journal
« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2007, 11:14:58 PM »
New dev journal.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Raf Blutaxt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'm rather axecentric
« Reply #181 on: December 03, 2007, 05:35:29 AM »
Wow, the new entry is one of the best things I've read in a writer's blog so far!

Very interesting and it made me think about the way I usually plot adventures and campaigns.
Before the gods of hell sentence you to die
remember well my friend a warlord never cries.

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2007, 12:38:11 PM »
From your latest Dev Journal:
It?s a lot of CPU cycles, though. I need another gig of RAM.

What kind of RAM do you need? My friends and I build (and rebuild) computers relatively often.  If your computer is a few years old I may be able to dig up stick for you.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2007, 02:48:12 PM »
I'll send you a PM.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #184 on: June 02, 2008, 03:04:31 PM »
I decided to start posting dev journals here again.  I haven't posted the last couple because they had no relevance to Rolemaster players.  This one mentions RM a couple times, but the real relevance is that 4th ed development consumes the company time at the moment.  Even more so, the THEORY of game design I discuss here is applicable to everyone. 

I'm guessing the next couple post will have no cross system application, so this might be the last one I post here for a little bit.

At any rate, here's the latest post:

All right. So the time of D&D 4th edition is upon us. This weekend I managed to see real, honest to God copies. I got to browse and peruse and start to build my opinion of and strategy for 4th edition. There?s really enough information out there that my 4th edition Skunkworks is in full glory now.

So my reactions?

Echoes is designed from the point of view of a man who loves Rolemaster. I?ve played the game for years and you can see its mark on the setting. The Churches, the lack of detect-good style abilities. The races. Echoes fit well with 3.5. It took some changes, but no more than Ravenloft, and 3.5 was designed to be versatile. It took the changes well. I was pleased.

4th edition frightened me.

I?m not talking about when I saw the books. You?ll have to read on for that. It frightened me because of the direction it seemed to move in. I was afraid that it would be much harder to fit into my world. The points of light scared me. The healing and powers scared me. I was afraid that it would be a difficult fit, and all of the adjustments would be painful at best.

But honestly, from a company standpoint, I can?t not try. We?re talking about a nearly level playing field and a potential buying frenzy. I have to be in. I?d be a full not to.

So I saw the books. I played a demo.

First of all, the books put me at ease. I was terrified of Epic, and yet I found only one ability there that stretched credulity in my world, and it was in the hand of the Arch Mage, which, lets face it, we expect to be pretty darn magical. Even the demigod seems to fit well for a character if the GM agrees that he?s played his path to sainthood properly. Of course, this cut a potential product from my line (I was going to do an book of epic destinies that didn?t suck), but it might still be viable. The epic destinies in the PHB are slim pickings. There could be room for more, depending on how all the WotC splat books look.

Second, the very idea of churches seems to have changed. A cleric doesn?t have to be the same religion as his god. A paladin has to start that way, but he doesn?t have to stay that way. They even insinuate that paladins can go renegade and end up with their entire orders chasing them, trying to end the blasphemy. Best yet, when this happens, THEY DON?T LOSE THEIR POWERS.

Some of this probably has to do with the structure of the rules. You strip powers from a 4th edition character and he isn?t even a proper PC anymore. Do you have him just gain fighter powers? The ones the fighter worked so hard to achieve? No, powers in 4th ed are EVERYTHING. You can?t take them away.

But with one or two minor notes, this fit exactly the feel I was going for in Echoes.

I was worried about the martial powers (exploits), but they don?t seem out of control. Some are cinematic, sure, but most of them seem reasonable, even believable in the hands of a real hero.

I?ll get into my notes on specifics when I get the books on Friday, but suffice it to say, I think it?s going to work fabulously.

There?s so much I don?t fully understand yet. I?m pretty sure Demons of Sin will be solo monsters, as will angels. Elemental Wraiths? I don?t know. I think so. They are meant to cover multiple roles, but I haven?t really had a chance to dig into monster theory (I spent very little time in the MM). We?ll see.

We start play testing The Throne of God a week from Saturday. We?ve already played it in that group, so we should be able to skip all the roleplaying and hit everything mechanics-wise one after another. I expect to finish it in one or two nights.

But I also played a demo.

This has a minor spoiler, so I?m going to warn you now. Stop reading if you don?t want to know.
(click to show/hide)

So the thing is, I?ve got to bring this into Echoes. Wind Wraiths should be able to do cool things. A Demon of Deciet needs to have some tricky abilities in addition to his spells. It?s all got to be interesting and neat and crunchy.

I?ve got the Skunkworks working already. I?m throwing you a curve ball.

Make me proud.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #185 on: June 05, 2008, 11:07:46 PM »
Exciting New Announcement

I received the go ahead today on a new product.  So I'd like to announce an upcoming Final Redoubt product, and possibly a new line of products.

It's an audiobook called Death by Clich?.  It's about a young game designer who's shot in the head by a looney fan (you know who you are), and ends up inside of the worst game of all time.  It's a comedy, and we've already recorded the first episode.

Best of all, it's free.

I'll likely release it through a second site so as not to interfere with the bandwidth on finalredoubt.com  It will be a series of weekly podcasts.  I'll probably release the first one after we have five in the can, to cover emergencies.

For the idea of releasing it as an audiobook, I have to give a nod to my good friend Howard Tayler of www.schlockmercenary.com.  I passed him some chapters at a con because I wanted a humorist's opinion and he suggest I do a podcast audiobook.  As an advocate of the free content business model, it's his example that made me seriously consider it and his support that made it happen.

I don't have a firm release date yet, but I'll keep you apprised as we move forward.

Until then, enjoy.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #186 on: June 06, 2008, 12:52:46 AM »
Nice
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #187 on: June 06, 2008, 06:18:40 AM »
I remember you talking about this awhile ago. I'll shall wait for it's release. Just a curious question Rob, how many pages long where your novels on average?

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #188 on: June 06, 2008, 01:04:52 PM »
Depends on the genre.  I'll give you pages in normal paperback format.

In a big fat fantasy, I start at about 450.  For a sci-fi epic, about the same.     For most others I shoot for exactly 300, which is the standard.  This is a comedy, so it's just a little shorter.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #189 on: June 18, 2008, 12:42:34 AM »
The GSL came out today.  It's pretty much exactly what they told us it would be.  I'm happy with it.  I can produce what I want to produce.  I might not be able to do it exactly the way I want to do it, but I think I can accomplish everything I want.  I'll probably need to produce new versions of two of the races, because editing the existing ones is disallowed, but that isn't too much of a hardship.  The absolute worst case scenario is that I can't cut a few aspects, and that's would require some IP changes, but none of them would destroy me.  They'd just be annoying.

So it looks like everything is good going forward.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2008, 01:37:02 AM »
Defendi,

The material provided in your material is excellent and gives many role-laying moments. Frankly, I am astonished at what the players are doing in my play-by-post game. I can only aspire to what they have done in games that I play in.

Know that I will always be a customer. Good Luck, Jeff

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #191 on: August 26, 2008, 02:18:48 AM »
Hi,

Any update on the Echoes of Haven setting?

There was so much information/discussion on 4th edition, then the critical matters book, ... but I am simply waiting for book 5 in HARP, or some intermediate adventures, or another short story. Any date you can give us on those?

BR
Juergen

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #192 on: August 26, 2008, 03:46:11 AM »
Not yet.  I'm very overworked.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #193 on: August 26, 2008, 04:50:26 AM »
I did the largest and hardest section of the HERO version a couple weeks back.  This book isn't quite as hard as the Monster book, but it's VERY long and all the spells have to be rewritten over and over again for the different versions.  I'm looking forward to product 6, which is about Dientor.  I won't feel like I'm writing four books from scratch so much in that one.

The one about wizards has me scared though.  :)  After that, I think they get a lot easier.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #194 on: September 02, 2008, 05:20:50 AM »
I've been doing smaller journals, every day to keep you updated better.  Anyway, there have been a few updates, if you haven't looked.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #195 on: July 17, 2009, 05:51:37 AM »
I updated the Dev Journal.  Go LOOK!

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #196 on: July 17, 2009, 06:01:57 AM »
http://finalredoubt.com/wordpress/

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2009, 06:52:34 AM »
Any guess what this means in terms of availability? I would guess October from what I read...

BR Juergen

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2009, 07:26:30 AM »
I'm guessing 2-4 months.  I'll know better when I can nail down art.  October is about right, but might be November.  It's been the project that never ends for so long that I think I've lost one artist completely.  :)

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2009, 06:49:34 PM »
I'm guessing 2-4 months.  I'll know better when I can nail down art.  October is about right, but might be November.  It's been the project that never ends for so long that I think I've lost one artist completely.  :)
*cough*  ;) ;D