Author Topic: Product 3 Map Survey  (Read 5283 times)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Product 3 Map Survey
« on: November 23, 2006, 11:24:42 PM »
All right, I started working on Product 3 last night (this morning technically).  It's a book about a fallen dwarven nation.  So I'm asking what you're looking for in maps.  Right now I have a country map and one of the fortresses pretty throughly.  I'm thinking about an overview map of the capital, so that you can see the general structure, like a city map.  You can look anywhere to find a random dungeon generator, so I'm thinking of 10 or so maps that outline important dwarven locations so that you can use them for battles and adventure set pieces and the like.  Any ideas for the product are welcome, but what I think I'm most intrested in what you'd like to see for maps of these specific locales, such as:

A dwarven home
A dwarven temple/war room
A dwarven marketplace
An Ancestral Tomb

Ideas welcome.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Product 3 Map Survey
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 03:55:40 AM »
Smithy
Palace
Farm (?)

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 12:39:38 PM »
Fortress as central keep or one of the outer ones? 
How about an outer outpost/tower on the fringes?
One for the Warlord, one for the Elven/Dwarven Alliance.
Underground warrens?

Of course, the more maps you include the more stats/background info you have to write...
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 05:55:22 PM »
Example maps would be good like those you and others suggested.

I also like making my own maps, so general descriptions and special areas could be good allowing me to fill in the details when making the map. More important for me is the information for gaming - products, special items, special areas, trading matters, diplomatic matters, military matters.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 06:36:17 PM »
What makes the Dwarves unique from other races?
How do you enter thier realm? Or how do they hide it from others?

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 12:44:24 AM »
Keep em comming, guys.

MarkC, to answer your last question, because it would effect any games you might start in the meantime, they don't hide from others, although in Uzarag certain areas are fallow enough that you don't always spot the door.  In the living Dwaven kingdoms, the entrances are obvious by the big walls and defenses you have to go through to get to them.  :)

I should answer the one before that too, for the same reason.  Most people walk into a dwarven kingdom through a pass, taking a road to the gates of one of the cities (or fortresses, if they have a right to be there).  Inside the city, there are usually underground roads connecting to other cities, or you can go back out the way you came and take surface roads.  The gates themselves usually look like doors for small settlements all the way up to major fortresses for cities (but that's just the gatehouse, if you say a dwarven fortress, you're probably looking at a couple of rings of walls surrounding a door.  The fortress is underground.)  Most settlements and fortresses have a second postern entrance, and THAT's hidden, usually accessed by a hidden road (think the campy version of Batman with Adam West for how you hide a road, but make it less silly.)
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 01:38:36 PM »
I was tinking of ideas for maps. What are the structurres involed in each case. One of the old MERP(or maybe a D&D) products had a great map of a Dwarven outpost and a hidden entrence. I think that would be great.

Since it seams Dwarves are a more open society then I am used to maybe just a city/town map and a village map.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »
I was tinking of ideas for maps. What are the structurres involed in each case. One of the old MERP(or maybe a D&D) products had a great map of a Dwarven outpost and a hidden entrence. I think that would be great.

Part of Moria perhaps?  My copy is dusty & buried.  Or even the D1-D3 (even dustier and more buried)
I would think that in Urzag dwarves are pretty well hidden.  In other areas they do seem to have a larger 'surface' presence.  I could be mistaken but I see dwarves in Urzag as a purely military institution living in a constant state of warfare rathen than a more 'normal' culture.  Also that a lot of the dwarven homes & outposts are currently occupied by the Warlord and his minions.  Kind of like Moria on a really bad day or the Gorgon in Birthright. 

I have always seen dwarves like the Swiss, with battle axes.  If you attack, we blow up the bridges, go behind really big doors and just wait until you let your guard down then come out and attack mercilessly. 

I am really curious as to how this will be presented.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha