Author Topic: Spacemaster Imperium Timeline  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Spacemaster Imperium Timeline
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:21:43 AM »
Since there has been interest, how do we advance the timeline to most interest the PCs? Major organizations sourcebooks, general updates, adventure modules? Peruse the old Space Master supplements (many still work!) and let us know.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
Re: Spacemaster Imperium Timeline
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:12:10 AM »
Well, well, well...

First we need to know when is the split between Silent Death timeline and the Old Imperium timeline...
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline TerryTee

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 08:15:40 AM »
My priorities would be:
Adventures
Campaigns
Source books
General updates

-Terry (currently a PC in one of the old SM2 modules, and planning to continnue being a GM in an Imperuim-based setting)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 08:53:57 AM »
Well, well, well...

First we need to know when is the split between Silent Death timeline and the Old Imperium timeline...

Heh actually I meant the Imperium timeline; I have no idea what happened in Silent Death after Kevin and I did the Second Edition Space Master
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 08:56:13 AM »
My priorities would be:
Adventures
Campaigns
Source books
General updates

-Terry (currently a PC in one of the old SM2 modules, and planning to continnue being a GM in an Imperuim-based setting)

Damn, I WISH I still had file access to the adventure mystery I wrote for Alarums & Excursions set on Akiasha Outstation way back in the 80's (under an assumed name). I loved getting that multicolored mimeoed thing from Lee Gold back in the day.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 09:33:04 AM »
What do you mean when you ask about advancing the timeline? 

Are you talking about moving things forward a bit from where they were with the old modules, with changes to the politics and boundaries of the different families that ruled over each portion of the Imperium?

As far as other things, I'd love to see any new material be provided with stats for all the various ICE rulesets (HARP-SF, SM, and SMU if things start moving towards getting such a Sci-fi version of the new RMU rules soon).

Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 01:00:05 PM »
A war is often helpful for providing a break from antebellum times, while still keeping a lot of continuity.  It would be interesting, e.g. for several Houses to secede from the Imperium, immediately fall to bickering amongst themselves, and have the Imperium use the event as an excuse good reason to take direct control over several systems.  Alternately, have several intra-Imperial factions start waging a quiet war amongst themselves (e.g. the Dia Khovaria and the IIS).

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 02:23:45 PM »
  IMHO, since the setting has been out of print for a while I would just start from scratch and use what I "the author" wanted to use from the old info. I would not worry about this or that unless you have all of the past products and do a through work-up of how each product advanced the timeline and state of affairs.
  If you are going to do it then do it whole heartedly and not halfheartedly. IE do it or do not, there is no try.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 06:12:51 PM »
  IMHO, since the setting has been out of print for a while I would just start from scratch and use what I "the author" wanted to use from the old info. I would not worry about this or that unless you have all of the past products and do a through work-up of how each product advanced the timeline and state of affairs.
  If you are going to do it then do it whole heartedly and not halfheartedly. IE do it or do not, there is no try.
MDC

Indeed.  The first thing I would need to do (assuming that I am taking this thing on) would be to go through all the old background material as an editor and clean it up. It has been so long that I would almost be seeing it with fresh eyes (and who was that Alexander Brooke Lindsay anyway?). And then advance the timeline. I can definitely see houses starting to want to break off, and Kulthea/CerilVII might be a crucial moment when the Emperor, the Dia Khovaria and the royal houses come to a crisis point.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 06:47:43 PM »
A Space Master Imperium Master Atlas, free of any stats or mechanics, would be awesome all by itself.  Like Powers of Light and Dark, stats could be released later in SM2 or SM:I (SMSS stats but with an Imperium instead of Privateers setting obviously).

I'd stand in line to buy that  8)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 07:33:29 PM »
Terry, that sounds like a good approach to take to me.  Would be great to see products based off of a slight advancement in time with those types of added stresses to the political landscape. 

Another suggestion would be to have a couple of areas of space that break off from the Imperium as more of independent groups that are not associated with any major house but that are only semi-organized (would be a good location for pirates or freelancers to operate out of or the likes), or possibly some areas that are out past the edge of the Imerium where things are still a bit on the chaotic and lawless side (kind of an old-west/sci-fi type of setting along the lines of the outer planets in Firefly).   

I also agree with yammahoper that a product like an Imperium Master Atlas would be a fantastic resource.
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 11:02:42 PM »
MDC

Indeed.  The first thing I would need to do (assuming that I am taking this thing on) would be to go through all the old background material as an editor and clean it up. It has been so long that I would almost be seeing it with fresh eyes (and who was that Alexander Brooke Lindsay anyway?). And then advance the timeline. I can definitely see houses starting to want to break off, and Kulthea/CerilVII might be a crucial moment when the Emperor, the Dia Khovaria and the royal houses come to a crisis point.

I would suggest to do as markc said: Do or Do Not, there is no try.

As other mention, I would suggest to take ALL the material, polish it, reconstitute, resurrect, then worry about rewriting it.  I tried to do the same with my old campaign world of Udava.  However, I found as a single person, I could not do it.  Especially when considering there was over 300GB of data (spread across about 200 CDs and DVDs) for me to attempt to sift through by myself.  I was forced to abandon that project and perform a complete rewrite with a whole 'nother world I have dubbed Onaviu.

If you need help, I would be willing to aid.  The choice is yours.

However, I do not possess all the needed materials due to the murder of my wife and daughters and losing much of my RPG library due to recuperating from that crime.

As Wolfhound said:
Terry, that sounds like a good approach to take to me.  Would be great to see products based off of a slight advancement in time with those types of added stresses to the political landscape. 

Another suggestion would be to have a couple of areas of space that break off from the Imperium as more of independent groups that are not associated with any major house but that are only semi-organized (would be a good location for pirates or freelancers to operate out of or the likes), or possibly some areas that are out past the edge of the Imerium where things are still a bit on the chaotic and lawless side (kind of an old-west/sci-fi type of setting along the lines of the outer planets in Firefly).   

I also agree with yammahoper that a product like an Imperium Master Atlas would be a fantastic resource.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.