Author Topic: [Privateers] XP Rewards for Vehicular Combat  (Read 1917 times)

Offline LonePaladin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
[Privateers] XP Rewards for Vehicular Combat
« on: January 18, 2014, 02:37:32 PM »
I couldn't find this spelled out in the rules anywhere, but how are XP gains handled for vehicular combat? Obviously, someone making an attack or a maneuver gains appropriate XP for themselves, but if the vehicle itself take a hit, does anyone gain XP? (I'm thinking of both the "1 hit = 1 XP" rule, and the XP gained for taking a critical hit.)

Also, am I reading this right in that there isn't any travel XP for spaceflight?

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: [Privateers] XP Rewards for Vehicular Combat
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 01:14:03 AM »
I don't believe there's an official rule.  Unless someone finds one I'm missing, I'd just divide it equally among participating people.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline LonePaladin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 01:37:29 PM »
I had to make a snap judgment call on this one, but for now I'm ruling that any attacks on a vehicle grant everyone on board full XP (not divided). Especially for space combat, if the ship gets too much damage it affects everyone equally (badly).

Attacking other ships, piloting, and any other related maneuvers grant XP to whoever is taking action, as normal.

This is unless something more official overrides me, naturally.

Offline marcsilvester

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 10:47:28 AM »
I am sure there are rules for vehicle XP in Spacemaster 2. I'll have a look and let you know - should be easily compatible with Privateers.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 11:28:45 AM »
The xp rules should be completely compatible between the two games. If you can find a SM2 rule that I missed when writing Privateers, I'd go for it.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline marcsilvester

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 12:07:47 PM »
Okay, well I found it on page 22 of the Player's book - Kill Points for non-personnel targets = #hits + (10 x AT) and it says for vehicles, Kill Points are distributed equally to all personnel directly involved in combat at the time of the kill.

Hope that helps.

Offline LonePaladin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 04:28:23 AM »
It does. It also explains why Construction Armor Types start at 11 and go up to 20. (Of course, this might also be to put them above the high-tech Armor Types, which are also Roman numerals.)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 07:59:01 AM »
 Yes Armor Types 11-20 are both in SM2 and SM:P but AT I-X are in RMSS: Black OP's, RMSS Arms Law Firearms and I think in SM:P Equipment Man. But if you want to check that it would be great as I am going from memory here at about 6am.
MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 10:40:26 AM »
It does. It also explains why Construction Armor Types start at 11 and go up to 20. (Of course, this might also be to put them above the high-tech Armor Types, which are also Roman numerals.)

You can do like my RPG group does, we always refer to the CATs as being 21-35 (we have extra CATs beyond normal).  We refer to them as 21+ because then it cannot be confused with the ATs 1-20.  When asked, "What Armor Type is it?" and I reply "24," they automatically know it is a CAT and will not confuse it with an AT.

Redoing the CATs to 11-20 is something I never liked about SM:P.  But we easily compensated.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.