Author Topic: SM3 : Privateers compatability with SM2  (Read 1488 times)

Offline mark99913

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
SM3 : Privateers compatability with SM2
« on: November 20, 2013, 08:00:09 AM »
Hello, I would like to know if Spacemaster : Privateers books (such as the Robotics Manual and Vehicle Manual) are compatable with Spacemaster 2nd edition rules. Would those books be useful to the 2nd edition game for the GM and players? How much difficulty would it be to convert them to the 2nd edition game?

- Mark

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:25:45 PM by Defendi »

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: SM3 : Privateers compatability with SM2
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 08:16:32 AM »
Most of the books are easily used with limited work.  Psions are not.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Tommi

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »
As Yamma said material is useable - quite like RMFRP vs RM2. However setting tech 'style' and tech level are quite different e.g.
Approach to robotics is quite different if you compare to Terran star empire (TSE): androids are/were created with physical stats of 100 (plus quality mods) and mental stats of 90+d10 IIRC. In Privateers robots/androids are created as viable characters - much weaker.
Space vessels are even further away. System allows you to build TSE like vehicles but it takes time...

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 11:05:10 AM »
Armors and attack charts are also quite different. I've recently started a SM2 game in which I use some Privateers material, but I haven't found a lot of overlap.

On thing I did find useful in Privateers is the races. I added the Privateers races to the SM2 ones to give my characters more interesting racial choices (would be happy to send you my converted races .pdf, where I tried to give balanced, Privateers racial stats in SM2 format).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle