Author Topic: "Tap Mana" talents  (Read 1627 times)

Offline LukeZ

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
"Tap Mana" talents
« on: September 03, 2013, 12:43:59 PM »
Tap Personal Mana
"in areas of low mana, the recovery process will be slower than normal."
Slower like at half recovery rate (25% of PP every 4 hours)?

If I know "Tap Personal Mana" and "Tap Ambient Mana", when I do decide which one is "active"?
And for how long?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: "Tap Mana" talents
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 03:47:41 PM »
Tap Personal Mana
"in areas of low mana, the recovery process will be slower than normal."
Slower like at half recovery rate (25% of PP every 4 hours)?

Yes, but it depends how low the mana is, so could be faster or slower for more or less mana

If I know "Tap Personal Mana" and "Tap Ambient Mana", when I do decide which one is "active"?
And for how long?

When you decide to cast a spell (if you want to handle the bookkeeping for blocks of PPs and their recovery). A simpler method is to choose on first casting of the "day" and for that day all casting is of that type  or when the character next decides to recharge his PPs (if he recharges using Ambient, then the next day will be Ambient PP).

Something more for something wicked to discuss.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 04:09:06 PM »
My own approach would be to use Personal Mana unless the caster wishes to take longer during their casting and accept the slow mana process described under Ambient.

In terms of resting, if the character only rests 2 hours they recover 50% of their power points for Ambient casting - but then they must use it for Ambient casting.  If they rest enough for Personal mana to replenish they can use it for either.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 05:49:56 PM »
And for how long?
For me this is chosen at character creation. Meaning, the way that character does this normally is determined by how they were trained to. But, the other option could be available after some training so they have another way if they need to for whatever reason.

For example: The wizards of the Korveck Academy all learn to "channel" the ambient mana of the world around them in order to cast spells. As one gets more experienced, they are able to handle more mana at one time (higher PP spells and/or more scaling) and per day (increased PP total). Only when they have attained a certain level of ability (lets day 10th level), are they allowed to learn the secret of storing mana within themselves for when they may be cut off from ambient mana. (This is easily reversible.)

While it may not be exactly "by the book," I just like this method for the flavor aspect.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 07:03:33 PM »
For me this is chosen at character creation. Meaning, the way that character does this normally is determined by how they were trained to. But, the other option could be available after some training so they have another way if they need to for whatever reason.

For example: The wizards of the Korveck Academy all learn to "channel" the ambient mana of the world around them in order to cast spells. As one gets more experienced, they are able to handle more mana at one time (higher PP spells and/or more scaling) and per day (increased PP total). Only when they have attained a certain level of ability (lets day 10th level), are they allowed to learn the secret of storing mana within themselves for when they may be cut off from ambient mana. (This is easily reversible.)

While it may not be exactly "by the book," I just like this method for the flavor aspect.

this is precisely how I deal with channeling/religion sources of mana as well as essence based powers.
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~