Author Topic: Query re: Spacemaster: Privateers  (Read 3045 times)

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
Query re: Spacemaster: Privateers
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:35:39 AM »
Is there any interest in developing further material for Spacemaster: Privateers? If so, what would you like to see?
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Query re: Spacemaster: Privateers
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 07:05:52 PM »
You mean the game ICE all but abandoned like ten years ago?

I'd like to see the full setting book.  I'd like to see detailed world profiles and major personalities properly developed.  I'd like to see a character editor program.  A matching skirmish game with miniatures and vehicles.  I'd like to see deck plans and station maps and adventure modules.

But it won't happen.  ICE dispises anything related to RMSS and has for a very long time now.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 06:15:03 AM »
You mean the game ICE all but abandoned like ten years ago?

Mjolnir (doing business as ICE) abandoned Spacemaster (and RMSS and eventually HARP and RM Classic). Not Aurigas-ICE or GCP

I'd like to see the full setting book.  I'd like to see detailed world profiles and major personalities properly developed.  I'd like to see a character editor program.  A matching skirmish game with miniatures and vehicles.  I'd like to see deck plans and station maps and adventure modules.

But it won't happen.  ICE dispises anything related to RMSS and has for a very long time now.

I wrote two RMSS sourcebooks (Mentalism Companion, Construct Companion) and have contribution credits for Martial Arts Companion, Essence Companion and Channeling Companion. In my corporate capacity as Director of GCP Ltd, I've ensured that Shadow World material has received RMSS stats, published RMSS and SMPrivateers adventures, and spent a lot of money ensuring that pdfs of RMSS and Spacemaster: Privateers products are legally available for purchase again. Neither GCP nor Aurigas despise RMSS.

At the moment, there isn't any point in us producing new Spacemaster: Privateers setting material for Spacemaster: Privateers rules (or new SMP rules books for that matter) because Spacemaster's future rules set will need to be compatible with the new Rolemaster rules set. It would not be fair to the fans nor would it be commercially viable at this time.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 04:58:02 PM »
Thank you for your response, Nicholas.

I know you are supporting RMSS/RMFRP/Spacememaster/Shadow World and others. This inspires me to want to do likewise, and I am sure it inspires others.
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline LonePaladin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 03:44:25 AM »
I would suggest an RMU supplement, maybe simply called "Future Law" if we're still following those naming conventions, that adds sci-fi elements to Rolemaster. This would include technical skills and professions, psionic powers, energy weapons, that sort. It should have a chapter on adapting either Spacemaster setting to the new rules — that way people still using the Terran Star Empire can bring it up to speed, and the Privateers setting would benefit from consolidated rules.

In the same vein, we could have a 'modern' supplement that covers firearms, modern-day skills, etc.

I still hope, someday, to see a Privateers book (even if it's only in PDF) that adds more detail to the setting itself. The star map I uploaded to the Vault is woefully incomplete.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »
Heh.  Heh heh. Heh heh heh he he he ha ha ha ha.  <Wiping eyes>

That's almost verbatim my initial mandate for Spacemaster: Privateers.  Make sure you demand it's 250,000 words even though you can't use 250,000 words.  :)
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com