Author Topic: Help! Can't find a SM2 Race  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Help! Can't find a SM2 Race
« on: May 19, 2013, 06:15:32 PM »
Perhaps someone can help: I'm looking to start up a new Spacemaster campaign, and distinctly remember an earlier campaign where one of my players played a kind of insect-like alien race. He had to wear a bodysuit because the race came from an atmosphere unlike earth's. I've searched through my old SM stuff and can't find this race anywhere. It doesn't seem to be in any of the companions, and it's not the insect-race from Privateers; it was definitely from one of the old SM books.

Can anyone help, or am I completely crazy?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
Re: Help! Can't find a SM2 Race
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:09:34 PM »
Can't make a call as to your being crazy, but...

Possibly a "Snee" (page 28 of SpaceMaster Players Handbook (ICE stock#: 9000, 1988))?  The description doesn't provide a lot of detail, as it says that they rarely interact with humans and prefer a hot, moist environment rich in oxygen and look like something between insect and lizard with an exoskeleton (AT12) and have a hive-like culture.  I can provide more details from the book if needed.  It doesn't describe them as needing suits, but with them preferring a hot moist environment rich in oxygen I can see that being a possibility. 
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 09:16:11 PM »
Also possibly the race that looked like a 6-legged chinese dragon, and whose original habitat was a Dyson sphere.  I distinctly remember it being described as requiring an environmental suit in 1G, 1A, Oxygen-rich environments.  It was only found in the "Aliens & Artifacts" book (which I sadly lost in the last few months).

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 10:25:38 PM »
Aliens & Artifacts! That was it! The Inheritors, is what they were called.

Thanks so much... and maybe I'm crazy, but at least I ain't imagining things :)

Cheers!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 09:04:10 AM »
Never got a hold of a copy of Aliens & Artifacts, but always wanted to see it.  May need to track down a copy.  Did that book cover any other information regarding the Dyson Sphere they are from? 
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 11:44:14 AM »
It did have a bit of information on the Dyson Sphere as it described the Inheritor nests, technology and socal structure (not a ton of direct information on the sphere itself, but some indirect stuff as it detailed the Inheritors themselves). They inhabit their own Dyson Sphere called Sphereworld. I actually ran a Spacemaster adventure to a Dyson sphere once-- fun stuff!

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 02:52:56 PM »
The Inheritors!  That was it!  Definitely one of the most imaginative--and well-balanced--races in the SM2 stock game.