Author Topic: Campaign Framework for Maptools  (Read 2535 times)

Offline starlord64

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Campaign Framework for Maptools
« on: May 17, 2013, 03:42:22 PM »
Hi, I don't post here very often, but I created a campaign framework for HARP. I know some of you probably use Fantasy Grounds, but that doesn't run on Mac, and Maptools is free. I have it posted in the RPTools forums with my notes, under User Creations. Its set up for 1e Harp, my new book hasn't come yet. If there is any interest, I can upload it to the Vault, maybe?

Offline starlord64

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Campaign Framework for Maptools
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 04:10:23 PM »
Its been moved to Campaign Frameworks in the User Creations section and appears to being loading correctly.

Offline starlord64

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 08:46:10 PM »
For those who don't know, maptools is a free open source program for running role-playing games, whether online or face to face. It runs on both pc and mac. It has some basic tools and a fantastic fog of war feature that uses line of sight for each player. Contributors have made a number of frameworks that you can load to play all sorts of games. But there wasn't one for HARP (or Rolemaster for that matter), so I created one.

All skills, spells, and maneuvers are tied to automated dice that will add your skill and roll together, displaying the results in a chat window. Your attacks are also tied to your skills but can be modified on the spot in a pop-up window, allowing you to divide your skill between both offensive and defensive bonuses. There is an inventory feature that contains most of the HARP equipment list. Initiative is also tracked according to the rules.

So if you are looking for some tools to run an online HARP game for both pc and mac, or to enhance your face to face game, you might check it out.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 08:23:29 AM »
Wow! Great! I will take a look!
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 02:02:56 PM »
Sounds like it's worth checking out. I believe this is the link for Maptool?
http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=maptool
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 03:02:27 PM »
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline starlord64

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 03:45:44 PM »
Thats the one! Its a very nice program, especially if you are playing online. The fog of war mechanic really is fantastic, even if you don't use a ruleset. If you are unfamiliar with the program, it can be a bit challenging, so its worth checking out the tutorials. More importantly though,  I have done all the work for you.

Offline starlord64

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 04:13:37 PM »
Just to save you some potential headaches, do not ever delete the LIB tokens. They contain the macros that run everything. They must always be visible on the Library map. For your personal games, create or import a new map, and then you can copy and paste the token templates to the map. Or you can right click on the tokens and save them to a token file (you should be able to see that on the left of the screen). From there you can drag them to your map and make new ones.

Make sure you check out my notes. Skills that don't add to a die roll are not included, and I combined the remaining physical and athletic skills into one menu. There is no real character sheet, but if you hover over a token, some basic information will be shown, like hp, pp, etc.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to help.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 03:06:01 AM »
Heard from maptool for the first time but it looks really great. Fiddled about with it a bit and must say, I especially like the visibility option which gametable lacks (the software we used up to now for our few online sessions).
Will definitely try out your campaign templates.
Thanks a lot for the work you put into it.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline starlord64

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 08:08:37 PM »
Great, I hope you like the framework. I might update it in a few weeks as I've made some small changes after using it. Just things I overlooked the first time around like encumbrance and that dodge error. If there is enough interest, I might make one for HarpScifi in the future.