Author Topic: About to start a campaign in HARP...  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Augury

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
About to start a campaign in HARP...
« on: May 06, 2013, 01:56:21 PM »
Hi folks,

Ive lurked around a lot and read (and indeed am still reading) many of the threads on the HARP forums as the answers to so many of my queries lie there.  So thanks for being so talkative over the years.  Ive got lots of experience with RM, however both I and my group wanted faster paced play which sacrificed a little detail for pace and flexibility.

Now i was lucky enough to buy my HARP just after Nicholas and the team revised it.  However I am also the owner (thanks Thom) of the un-revised Martial Law and CoM.

So despite having a million and one questions I will pose this to anyone who will listen/answer:

As a first time HARP GM (but with plenty of RM experience, balancing and house ruling) what would you watch out for specifically when using primarily HARP revised edition, but wanting to use some of the aspects from ML and CoM, specifically things like - ML hit locations, some of the telents, the spells in CoM.  I just want my combat to be reasonable and not full of glitches so Im being guided by common sense and HARP revised for 'intention' but I love the crit tables in ML and want to use them.

Ive seen a lot of discussion which implies that the modifications to the crit roll in ML based on the targets armour is too severe (especially having already applied a DB based on that armour type before getting to the crit result) resulting in almost no damage getting through to those in full plate.  Is this being revisited in the revised ML Nicholas (and if so how) or should I just tone it down myself via house rule?

Thanks
Matt

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: About to start a campaign in HARP...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 02:08:48 PM »
We've made the critical adjustments *optional*. So if you want to use Martial Law criticals, just use them. Don't adjust the results according to armor.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme