Author Topic: How many back up systems?  (Read 2304 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How many back up systems?
« on: March 30, 2013, 08:57:30 AM »
  When designing craft I try and think of what would happen if they broke down and how would they be recovered and fixed. This leads to how many back up systems does a craft need?
  I try and give commercial craft 2 backups (except for life support which has 3 for civilian transport craft) where needed and military craft 3 in most areas. Again this all depends on the size of the craft, the craft's duties and mission.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: How many back up systems?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 12:27:37 PM »
I would consider if there are 'escape' pods that have any decent length of survivability.  Obviously for something like life support there would be a full on back up, but if it's a pretty small ship and had an escape pod I'd consider that the 2nd backup.

For really large ships you also can assume they would have a shop with the spare parts, or maybe even the ability to MAKE the spare parts, needed to fix systems while on their backup.  Then there are always "suits" they could use as a third backup.

So, I'd say: Firefly sized ship, one back up and then escape pods.  Millennium Falcon sized ship, probably two backups or the spare parts to replace the primary while on the secondary.  Star Destroyer, would have a shop with a lot of spare parts of ones that could not be created in it's own shop and the ability to manufacture the rest.

Something to think about in terms of technology: A lot of parts should be able to be created on the spot.  Look at the 3D printers we already have today.  Granted the nice ones (large ones that create metal parts) are probably $500k on the low end... but that's NOW.  Think of what they could manufacture (and how) in most Sci-Fi settings.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 10:39:33 AM »
For an in game mechainic, I find it best to rate the back up systems and then charge accordingly.

For example, if back ups are rated 20, then a roll of 21 or higher would indicate backup system covers for primary system after being damaged.  Duration can vary and I play it by ear (the number rolled subtracted from 100 in hours plus innate system rating, 3days, 3 months, etc). 

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 09:41:40 AM »
I would think the number of backup systems may also be dependent on imperial laws.  For instance, within the Terran Star Empire (TSE) of my sf game, they require passenger liners to have at least 2 full life support backups and at least enough lifeboats/lifepods for half again the number of passengers and crew.

However, ultimately, it is the size/volume of the ship that will dictate how many backup systems you can have on a ship.  In the TSE Naval forces, frigates are so small that about the only backups they can afford is 1 extra life support and 1 auxilliary power generator.  The larger battle wagons such as dreadnoughts, battleships, etc. can afford more backup systems along with workshops to make repairs.

Basically, as Corey says in his post.

One hole in the TSE laws is with freighter ships.  They are mostly concerned with being able to haul the maximum amount of cargo rather than worrying about the crew.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »
One hole in the TSE laws is with freighter ships.  They are mostly concerned with being able to haul the maximum amount of cargo rather than worrying about the crew.
Crew take up space. Space not being used for cargo, costs them money. Therefore, I would expect the ships to be largely automated (probably better to pay for robotic/computerised AI than soft tech crew) with very spartan crew quarters and little to no life support in the remainder of the ship (cargo that cannot take a vacuum being shipped in sealed pressurised containers - those are cheaper than life support). Think Red Dwarf but with crew quarters on a scale of Starbug :)

In my universe there is a standard shipping crate that holds 1 cubic metre - but it is hexagonal in shape so there is no gap between them when stacked. Cargo vessels tend to be obvious because their main holds also follow the hex pattern.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 09:27:38 AM »
Crew take up space. Space not being used for cargo, costs them money. Therefore, I would expect the ships to be largely automated (probably better to pay for robotic/computerised AI than soft tech crew) with very spartan crew quarters and little to no life support in the remainder of the ship (cargo that cannot take a vacuum being shipped in sealed pressurised containers - those are cheaper than life support). Think Red Dwarf but with crew quarters on a scale of Starbug :)

In my universe there is a standard shipping crate that holds 1 cubic metre - but it is hexagonal in shape so there is no gap between them when stacked. Cargo vessels tend to be obvious because their main holds also follow the hex pattern.

Exactly.  Thanks for the elaboration I did not do.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 03:00:06 PM »
As mentioned by arakish, laws and regulations would enforce the minimum space each person is provided. In the past, cargo ships had a few additional rooms for paying passengers. This is still mentioned in the SNAME manuals, so it is still a consideration, even though air travel has made the need all but obsolete. But in a space traveling setting, this would again become a viable option to raise additional funds.

SNAME = Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 08:34:07 AM »
  Yes IMHO cargo is cargo. It does not matter if it needs food, water, walks on two legs, 4 legs or more, needs a place to sleep or simply needs space. If it is paying the right amount hall it.
 I think that was the motto of a old PC I had way back when.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.