Author Topic: Tech Level: New Options  (Read 1620 times)

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Tech Level: New Options
« on: March 12, 2013, 08:34:41 AM »
I have always had a few issues with how tech levels were presented in SM, but I can agree with making a simple system to explain and quantify a difficult discussion. But there are a few areas that still bother me.
1) Exploration TLs: Exploration is a natural (in most cultures) response to gaining an advance in transportation tech, and starts immediately once the tech becomes available. In other words, exploration is a result of a technical advance, not an advance in and of itself. To me these should be "X technology is refined, expanded, and becomes more available as the culture continues to use the X to explore."
2) trying to fill every tech level with an advance in the specific level charts. in some instances this spreads related advances across multiple TLs when they should be in one. It's OK to leave blanks or to have minor advances that will build into a group of major advances.
3) Progression. Relative power level of tech as one advances seems to be more of an exponential increase then a linear increase, which is what the table implies.

1 & 2 are easily dealt with, Here's my simple adjustment for 3.
Since all of the tech books use TLs it is impossible to separate them with out rewriting, so any changes have to work with the existing TL system. So, the way I have changed them is as follows.
TLs 1-10 are unchanged
TLs 11-20 have half TLs inserted
TLs 21-30 have quarter TLs inserted

If you feel that changing the interval to every 7 TLs you can. You can also adjust the increase, I use powers advancement (2, 4, 8, 16, etc.), but you could use additive or something else. You can even just add a decimal place to describe how far along a TL a culture is (5.3 vs 5.9, 29.0 vs 29.9)
This provides a little more granularity in describing TLs. And remember, the TLs are a guideline (which I admit to having problems remembering from time to time).

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Tech Level: New Options
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:20:59 AM »
 I use the decimal system for my TL's and I have thought of expanding the charts to 50 just to make things easier for me and my game world.
 I also wish the books had left some extra room before "God" TL and the other TL's so you had some room for expansion. But that is just me.
 In general I like the TL charts and find them useful in many ways.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »
Yeah, I agree that the I feel the "god" levels are too close, but with the 'fill every level' concept, you run out of ideas pretty quick.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 10:03:36 PM »
 Yes I agree it is tough to predict the future. I guess I would like to see just some more small advancements or more advancements in the tech that is there.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 12:01:14 AM »
I think empty spaces would be nice, I mean, who saw using 3D printers to print organs (there are now 3 or more devices that can do this). At least with empty spaces you could add the tech using a datanet, errata, or a companion.

And it would allow GMs to insert their own techs into the gaps more easily.

But at this stage it would require a rewrite of not just SM, but any material that depends on TLs.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »
 Yes the 3D printers are very very interesting.

You may want to contact arakish as he is/has also some construction ideas in mind that he wanted me to look at but I never got around to it. You guys together should come up with a great book or two.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 04:56:22 PM »
I kind of like the way Gamma World did tech-levels: You had a number - prepresented by a Roman Numeral -which was the overall or "main" tech-level, then you had a letter code which denoted the complexity of the tech in question. For example: The highest human tech-level was IV (alien was V), and a gun produced at that TL could be listed as IVC, while something like a specialized computer could be IVG, meaning it is more complicated to operate and figure out than the gun. With this method it is possible to reflect both new technologies (higher letter-code, usually) and well established ones (lower letter-code), as well just the specific technology's complexity.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.