Author Topic: 6 or 10 second rounds possible?  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Luxferre

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
6 or 10 second rounds possible?
« on: March 11, 2013, 03:42:11 AM »
I have some problems with the 2 second rounds in HARP. For my imaginations (and those of my players) one round is way too short.

My Problem is the movement each round. I would like to play with battlemaps for the big encounters and for using my nice creature pawns.

As an idea, i would like to allow one movement action and one normal action (attack, cast spell, whatever).
But moving 13 and attacking in 2 seconds? I dont think so.

Do you have ideas for solving my problems? Are there official rules for playing with minis but without hours of numbercrunching?

Thanks for your help and ideas in advance and please apologize my bad english (havent spoken or written for nearly 12 years now).
Feed me! I'm hungry...

ina killatesu basma kabis sumsu

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: 6 or 10 second rounds possible?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 06:29:55 AM »
By the RAW, you are only allowed to EITHER move or attack, not both in the same round (see page 90 HARP Fantasy).

I used minis and battlemaps for most combats with a grid of 1" and defined it as 5' (~1 5.m). I house-ruled that the players were allowed to move up to 1 grid (1.5m) and were still allowed to use any other action without a penalty (e.g.: Melee, Missile, Spells). I never had any problems with that rule.

There was a PDF product called BattleMaster (from Mjolnir). It had ~5 pages of rules how to play HARP with Minis, however I never used them as I was happy with the above and it had NO changes of the length of a round.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
Here is a GCP article for 10s rounds for HARP.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:56:17 AM »
I used minis and battlemaps for most combats with a grid of 1" and defined it as 5' (~1 5.m). I house-ruled that the players were allowed to move up to 1 grid (1.5m) and were still allowed to use any other action without a penalty (e.g.: Melee, Missile, Spells). I never had any problems with that rule.

This is actually the official rule. You can move up to 5' and change direction once while still performing a single action in 1 round.  Moving your entire BMR would constitute your one action for the round and you would not be allowed an attack.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Luxferre

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:17:08 AM »
This is actually the official rule. You can move up to 5' and change direction once while still performing a single action in 1 round.  Moving your entire BMR would constitute your one action for the round and you would not be allowed an attack.

I wish a little more movement and action in one round. To split in one movement and one normal action seems logical for me (the exD&D guy) ;)

The 10 sec round seems a good idea, Ecthelion. As you are from my hometown [hamburg germany] it is quite funny, to get your advice here!
Thanks for the link. I will try it out next time, we play.

If anyone has other ideas... feed me  ;D
Feed me! I'm hungry...

ina killatesu basma kabis sumsu

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 09:44:25 PM »
Here's an action from Martial Law.

Move & Attack: This Combat Action allows the
character to move and attack in the same round. The
character receives a -10 modifier to his OB for every 5' or
portion of 5' that is moved. If the character moves 12’ and
attacks, he receives a -30 to his OB for moving three increments
(5' + 5' + 2' (part of 5') = -30). If the character is
moving at a pace faster than a run, he receives another -10 for
each Pace above a Run. If the character is moving at a Sprint,
that is 2 Paces above a run, so he receives an additional -20 to
his OB, in addition to the -30 for moving 12'’.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com