Author Topic: Vehicle Construction Optional Rules: Payload Pallets & Modules  (Read 1974 times)

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
First, updates to Pallets:
Payload Pallets
Payload pallets can carry nearly anything, though weapons & auxiliary systems are most common. In order to be made into a payload, the system cannot exceed the mark #, mass limit, or load volume, of the pallet. There are two types of Payload Pallets, internal and external. External Pallets are covered in the core rules. Internal Pallets take up additional volume and mass, see the chart below.
Load Volume is the volume of the load which can be placed on the Pallet. Likewise, load mass is the mass of the load which can be placed on the pallet. Unless the payload pallet is internal, this does not affect the volume total of the vessel. A pallet can carry a load mass/volume that is lower then it's rating, and may carry multiple systems so long as the total does not exceed the pallets rating.

Compact   Small   Medium   Large   Ultra Large
Payload Pallet (Internal)1.12.23.34.45.5
Payload Pallet Volume (Internal)   3.36.69.913.216.5
Load Volume3691215
Load Mass12345

Any craft flying with loaded external pallets has the Exposed Weapons Flaw. The malfunction applies only to palletized systems (GM should roll for each pallet). The credit reduction only applies to the cost of the payload.

Any systems included in a payload that have a power requirement must either receive the power from the vessel or an internal supply. An integral power supply counts against the volume and mass of the payload.
Some systems may require more volume or mass then a pallet can provide. If this is the case, there are Payload Modules.

Payload Modules
Since the pallets don’t scale up easily, I’m employing a new system that I’m calling Payload Modules, these can carry anything. A module can even out mass the ship it’s attached to, so long as the vessels drive system and the attachment point can handle the mass.
(While thinking about this, I realized that it is a very flexible system, a ship can be composed entirely of modules, like the ISS or even the Apollo spacecraft. It also finds application as trailers used by semis, the mobile shops used in the army, and many other uses.)
A note about Module Mass & Volume, a vessels drive system must be able to handle the Mass of the module, therefore, the Mass is calculated into the vessels Mass limit. The Volume only needs to be calculated in if the Vessel is intended to carry the Module internally.

Standard Payload Modules:
Modules are rated by mark numbers, which also determine the mass and volume limits of the module. There are two parts to this arrangement: The Module and the Mount. Modules are assumed to have a mount built in. In the standard module scenario, A module cannot be the base of another module where maneuvering stresses are placed on the mounts.
Module: Mass = mk# x 10, Volume = mk# x 30
Mount: Mass = mk# x .2, vol = mk# x .6

Vehicle Totals:
The mounts Volume & Mass are added into the vessels total. As mentioned above, only the Mass of a module must be added into the vessels total, unless the mount is an internal structure. Such as the medical bay on the Serenity, cargo containers stored in a hangars overhead (yes, they do that, during ww2 aircraft that were not airworthy were stored this way, freeing room in the hangar bay). If the vessel is planning on carrying modules that require an appreciable amount of power (EW, hangars, medical, whatever), either the ship should have the power reserves to run the module or the module should provide it's own power.

Modules:
A module is designed like any vessel, except in most cases propulsion is provided, in some cases power and other necessities may be provided also. It is strongly suggested that a module provide any power that it requires or that another module for that purpose be designed
Example: Electronic maintenance trailers used by the army do not have integral power, they depend on generators. One generator is capable of running more then 3 trailers, and would be considered a module by its self in this system.

OK, that's the basics, I've got a few more options that make the system more... interesting; but also add realism and versatility. I'll cover those later.

For reference, a mk2 module is a 3 meter cube, two of which are roughly equivalent to a a 1 TFU cargo container.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Vehicle Construction Optional Rules: Payload Pallets & Modules
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:29:37 AM »
 Looks good. In my game I just had some basic rules that said you lost about 5% of mass and vol to connection equipment and all containers could be connected to ship to ship, air, water, power etc. But I also did have additional stand along units.

The only problem I see is having too many modules on airborne vehicles and reentry vehicles that may mess up the shape of a vehicle.

Again like to see good stuff in the SM section again.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 12:26:56 PM »
Re-entry concerns likely needs to be addressed as a function of tech level. This is really a special case for vehicles at lower tech levels due to the difficulty of getting outside of earths atmosphere in the first place.

At lower tech levels I concur, but what is payload for a cargo plane? normally it is (shipping terminology, not SM) a palletized cargo. This means that the cargo is loaded onto a pallet or skid to make loading and unloading easier. These are also normally loaded internally, meaning that the design volume must now include the intended module volume in the total vol of the craft. There are a few examples of external modules for aircraft, with the exception of the virgin space programs, most were for experimental systems Examples of theses are NASAs supersonic test craft, and other test craft that needed a "mothership".

In the game I'm running, when the advanced society performs a re-entry, they use gravity systems to reduce the speed, thereby reducing the friction. For hurried re-entry (combat drops) shield systems are employed to protect the craft & alter the cross section.

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 12:59:52 PM »
My solution, in the basic module system is: "In the standard module scenario, A module cannot be the base of another module where maneuvering stresses are placed on the mounts."
This statement is found just before the mass & volume calculations for the modules & the modules mounts.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 06:14:04 PM »
 As you said I can see the gravic parachute (IIRC) as a good addition to space based drop module.

I do not know if it is possible right now but in the future I could see remote missile packs being dropped for future short term deployment (ie so they do not have to be taken back to base but are sure to be used in a short period of time) if not use during flight. But this would add some weight to the systems needed. But in the future that extra weight may not be all that much.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.