Author Topic: Where can I buy Hack And Slash?  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Leyoz

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Where can I buy Hack And Slash?
« on: August 26, 2012, 06:37:43 PM »
Hey Guys,

Sorry for being hopeless, but everywhere I;ve found to buy Hack and Slash doesn't sell it anymore. Can someone give me an obvious link I'm overlooking, pdf is preferable.

Cheers,
Leyoz

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Where can I buy Hack And Slash?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:36:21 PM »
As far as I know it's no longer available since they are reworking and rebranding the HARP Fantasy line. I know Martial Law is being worked on but I don't know what the plan is for Hack & Slash though. I am sure Nicholas answer that question soon enough though.

Either way at the moment it seems like you have no other choice to wait and see.

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 01:30:36 AM »
You could also search for the "Bazaar Annual" on eBay. It also contains the H&S combat rules and tables.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 04:46:29 AM »
We are not currently selling Hack & Slash. The HARP Fantasy redesign team attempted to fix the incompatibility of the Hack&Slash attack tables with standard scaling of elemental attack spells but none of the low effort solutions worked out. If they had, we would have included it as part of the new enhanced Martial Law. Unfortunately they did not. We suspect that the only way of fixing Hack & Slash in this regard is to totally rewrite its tables, so we've put it back on the shelf and will revisit the idea of additional combat options at a later date.

Physical copies of the Bazaar Annual can be bought still from some (online) game stores.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 07:53:24 AM »
Sad news, somehow I hoped you would include a fixed version of them in Martial Law. Wasn't there an example of a fixed table posted somewhere in this forum?

EDIT: Sorry, no, the best solution was here:

Don't want to Troll or anything but I just wish to add the way my group handle this problem.

We made this change because we thought the Bolt were unabalance (weaker) compare to non-magical ranged attack like Bow/Arrow.
In addition to all the excellent demonstration upstair we found that
When scaling to make a medium bolt, launching the spell took as much time as shooting with a bow.
The two attack have a lot in common, Ranged attack with near the same range, same size of attack. The problem is that the Bolt COST PP while shooting an arrow cost nothing and the Bolt have a penalty to the attack roll.
Well that was a lot against casting bolt instead of just learn to shoot with a bow.

This is our houserule
When using Hack&slash all scaling for elemental attack don't suffer of a penalty to casting and so no penalty for the attack roll.
Instead each PP invested in addition to the cost of the basic spell increase by one the fumble range.
So a medium bolt (+4PP) have a fumble range increase of 4.

Well just to add ANOTHER houserule or opinion
Sorry for the poor english
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:01:42 AM by WoeRie, Reason: Quote & Fix »

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 01:01:33 PM »
Sad news, somehow I hoped you would include a fixed version of them in Martial Law. Wasn't there an example of a fixed table posted somewhere in this forum?

Yapadekoi's solution is good, but it involves changing standard rules elsewhere in the game to cope with a problem in an optional system. Properly the problem should be fixed in the option and not allowed to propagate out to other parts of the system.

At some point, we are going to have a serious thorough look at optional combat systems for HARP and discern what it is that people really want (I think a lot of it's critical variety) and then build one that really works through proper extensive public playtesting. However, we need Martial Law, CoM and Loot back, plus Cyradon, and the new Bestiary first.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Wapin

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 02:11:35 PM »
If people want a lot of critical variety , a solution may be a set of rules to adapt the RMU combat system to HARP.
It may be a tough work, but at least it saves the creation and the maintenance of a new set of table...

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 02:22:02 PM »
If people want a lot of critical variety , a solution may be a set of rules to adapt the RMU combat system to HARP.
It may be a tough work, but at least it saves the creation and the maintenance of a new set of table...
If you don't want to invest the time to convert the RMU combat system, I already did a conversion of the RMFRP combat system (with some tweaks to tone down the No Armor category) which was published on TGC here.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 11:03:28 AM »
That sucks. I have been using the combat tables from Hack and Slash exclusively for my demo games. They work good so far so I guess I will continue to use them for now as the basic combat tables included in the core book are lacking and the ones in Martial Law are a bit much and don't cover every table needed. I actually prefer the old RM combat system as it was more realistic in the way it separated armor from the defensive bonus, i.e. you were easier to hit but took less damage and lower crits when wearing armor.

Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!