Author Topic: TL and Race Creation  (Read 1801 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
TL and Race Creation
« on: December 11, 2011, 11:24:30 PM »
 IYO should Tech Level, have a point value when creating races in SM:P for races with different Tech Levels?
Thanks
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: TL and Race Creation
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 01:51:50 AM »
Are you talking about a system like Traveller, where items have a tech level value, and a planet/culture is required to have at least that same tech level rating in order to be able to manufacture them? That is a system which is a minor pain to implement and quite easy to work in play, but it sounds a bit simplistic for anything based on the RM system :)

A warlike race might have a higher military tech level than general tech; a particular race known for its work with robotics or nano tech might get a bonus to those items; a society of inventors and innovators might have a low military tech but a much higher general level; a culture whose religion forbids machine tech might be very limited on most things but have a very high organic technology level; and so on.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:17:28 AM »
 Yes I was thinking about a race that had around TL 20 vs a race that ha around TL 25. I would expect that they would not be the same TL in all areas of scientific advancement.
  I would also restrict knowledge to a max of there tech level they grew up in until they had time to learn more advanced knowledge.

So yes I guess it is a bit like Traveller in some ways.
MDc
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 01:07:06 PM »
IYO should Tech Level, have a point value when creating races in SM:P for races with different Tech Levels?
Thanks
MDC

This depends on how you want to handle TLs.  In my FtF SM campaign, each of the interstellar empires have a different TL for each major component that can be put into a vehicle.  Table below gives a small example.

Empires
  • UHF = Urgon Hegemonies Federation
  • CIE = Confederation of Inorian Emirates
  • TSE = Terran Star Empire
  • SD = Snekra Dynasty
  • KC = Khryshyn Concordium
  • NIP = Nebulonic Interstellar Potentate
  • EI = Enigman Invaders

Categories
  • SbD = Subluminal Drives
  • SpD = Superluminal Drives
  • Arm = Armaments

SbD     SpD     Arm
UHF     25     24     27
CIE     25     23     25
TSE     27     27     25
SD     24     24     24
KC     29     29     28
NIP     29     29     29
EI     30     30     unk

The above values are actually the average across several different systems under each catagory.  Read further...

The "unk" for the EI means unknown.  Enigman armament technology seems almost god-like to the others.

Of course, doing it this way means a lot more work for the GM.  However, I have always felt that a single, all-encompassing Tech Level was wrong.  I also apply a decimal portion to each TL (i.e. - TL 26.83).  I use this decimal equivalent to show how close an empire/species is to gaining the next TL.

An example I always used is a species that never had a major competitor on their homeworld, nor invaders from elsewhere.  They live in a near utopic cohabitation with the world.  Their technology focuses on agriculture and society.  Thus, their entertainment and agriculture technology are second to none.  In fact, they may be so far advanced compared to others that their entertainment and agriculture technology may seem god-like (TL 31+).  However, their armaments technology may still be no better than sticks and stones.

Thus, I feel each tech category should have its own TL for each empire/species.  Yes, it means a lot more work, but I feel it is more accurate.  For example, the TSE's superluminal drive TL is far more advanced due their discovering a First Comers artifact.  And the UHF's Armament technology is superior to the TSE due to their early war just for survival before the Urgons even reached for the stars.

Furthermore, I even give a TL for each type of drive in the subluminal and superluminal categories.  I also do this for each type of armament (since one empire/species may be more advanced in Phaser technology than others who may be focusing into different types of weapon systems).

Drives examples: The TSE has a TL of 27.47 in Ion Impulse Drive where the UHF has a 22.71 (still not high enough to build such a drive).  Another good example of this is the Warp Drive.  When the TSE discovered that the Warp Drive was actually destroying the space-time continuum (leading to possible irrepairable tears), they released this information which caused all others who used the Warp Drive to abandon it for an alternative drive system.  The TL for Warp Drive for each was TSE = 26.58, CIE = 23.12, UHF = 22.34.  The SD never used Warp Drive and the KC, NIP, and EI long ago abandoned Warp Drive for better alternatives.  As can be seen, the TSE had a higher TL for Warp Drive technology, but since it was abandoned, the TL has never changed.

Another good example is vessel Landing Gear technology.  The UHF has a TL of 26.89, CIE = 24.14, TSE = 22.56.  Since the UHF is fond of invading/conquering other planets, they have excelled in Landing Gear technology and can land much larger vessels on a planet than the others.  The TSE is falling far behind since they discovered another First Comers artifact that gave them Matter Energy Rectification Transceiver technology.

Sorry for such a long post, but you asked. ;)

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 01:37:36 PM »
...they may be so far advanced compared to others that their entertainment and agriculture technology may seem god-like (TL 31+).  However, their armaments technology may still be no better than sticks and stones."

Arguably :) However, if their mastery of agriculture is that good, then it is not unreasonable to assume that their scientists have some quite spiffy genetic modification technology. If they were in a tight spot, they could adapt that knowledge fairly easily to produce some really nasty pathogens that do bad things to their enemies but leave themselves untouched. Therefore while they might not have the technology to produce a blaster cannon, they can adapt their existing technology to still produce a legitimate biological weapon instead.

Also, they may have realised that they are not alone in the universe and have some aggressive neighbours and have been quietly selling all that surplus food and all those rousing holo-adventures and using the cash to furnish themselves with the best weapons and defense that another race can provide (although they might be able to pull the trigger or activate the force screen, they would have no idea how such a thing works of course).

So, a TL for armament is not the complete picture - things azre seldom quite so cut and dried!

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
Yes and no, technically they would not, but culturally they might. Asia had gunpower for decades and hadn't used it in effective weapons, but it only took Europe a few years to develop (maybe a decade) to start fielding firearms.
I am running a game in which there are two groups of humans, basically they are terrestrial and uplifted, and the tech level difference is going to change the talent points available, and I'll add a set of talents to increase tech level, so a terrestrial can increase his effective level in an area at a cost.