Author Topic: Absent makes the heart grow fonder!  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Harp4Ron

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Absent makes the heart grow fonder!
« on: July 25, 2011, 05:27:28 PM »
   Hello if you would indulge me a bit..I promise there is questions coming :D .Way back in the early eighties I played a certain popular role playing game , but stumbled upon a system that I felt added flavor to the game. That game was Middle earth role playing, which I played up until about 2000, then I picked up Rolemaster FRP played that for a while until Ice came up with Harp, bought it and played and loved it but stopped playing a few years ago..  About a 3 Months ago my kid kinda reached the age where she can appreciate roleplaying, so like a fool I went and spent 400 bucks on a certain systems 4th edition rules. Those rules seemed to have little variety and I felt like we were playing WOW, so I started longing for a return to Rolemaster or Harp. Part of the main reason I tried the "other system" was because the simplicity of the math, but that aside it felt like a board game.. So I had decided to return to Harp or rolemaster (with much excitement) but I have a few questions to throw out there.

First my kid is 8 and wonder if harp or rolemaster FRP is to complex for that age group...has anybody ever played kids on these systems..any thoughts or insights please?

How about this Rolemaster classic, if it is like rolemaster 2nd ed that might be too complex as I remember 2nd ed was.

I see some company changes have happened since I was playing last, will this effect harp or rolemaster FRP content in the future?

Well that's it, and I am happy to be back in Iron Crowns fold.. Take care

Ron

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: Absent makes the heart grow fonder!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 08:07:31 PM »
Ron,
Welcome back....
We're glad you have enjoyed ICE products in the past, and are excited about introducing them to the next generation.  While I don't think either of those game systems are written for 8 year olds to play on their own, a parent who is focused on running a simplified version of any of the systems (HARP, RMFRP, or RMC) would probably be able to use them to introduce roleplaying to an few 8 year olds.  The key is to play the version that you are most comfortable with, drop out any of the extra complex parts until they are older, and take them through the adventures with minimal rules play.  As they grow to enjoy the games more you can introduce more of the rules elements into the game and eventually let them try GMing simple adventures for each other.

Best of luck with it....
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 05:53:17 AM »
I would suggest the following progression:

1. HARP
2. RMC
3. RMFRP

Of course, going down the list is only necessary if you want to - you can stop anywhere along there.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Mitchiban

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:25:18 AM »
Its not just 8yr olds....I have some adults that get a little fuzzy with the math too.   But you could switch to D20 style 1 = 5% or round to the nearest 5 before doing math and that will speed it up.  Also you could round her skills to the nearest 5 as well.  Pre set attacks with determined OB DB splits is also helpful.  So as the GM you know a normal attack is say 50 / 50 Aggressive might be 75 / 25 and of course defensive could be 25/75.  She could say she is aggressively attacking or defensively.  If she says nothing its normal.  You would have those numbers so its on you.  Everything else you pretty much could just have them roll and calculate.  If you do the record keeping of hits and stuff then to the 8yr old its just story time :)  If you think a situation deserves something different then suggest it "Wow that is a really nasty looking sword you know you dont want to be hit by that.  Perhaps you should be more defensive or even going full parry until help arrives"  If she doesnt want to then fine either fudge or let it play out for next time.   The goal of Fun or Games is learning in a safe environment.  Learning doesnt always equate to winning.  In fact losing is often the better teacher.   But I stray from your Original Post...

Back to topic it is a good way to teach math.  No different than monopoly.  Plus as her skills get better feel free to add in percentages on 1 side or another until confidence is high then do both sides.  At least that is the plan for my son.  As is I have to do most of the math myself but I plan on sharing the load as he gets older.  He is 6 now.  He watched my group play a few times and asked to play so I made him a character and we play with family that can allow for the 6 yr old attention span.  I am happy to do it as well.

Sorry if my reply is all over the place...early here and coffee is still in brew mode. :)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »
HARP (fantasy) will get a series of improvements, derived from both actual game experience and cool analysis, and innovations brought in from HARP SF. It will still be HARP and recognisably so but genuinely improved. I'll be starting the discussions on this in my first "Director's Briefing".

For both Rolemaster and HARP, the corporate changes mean more content, especially more adventure and setting material.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 05:43:13 AM »
For both Rolemaster and HARP, the corporate changes mean more content, especially more adventure and setting material.
Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES! You can pretty-much guarantee my purchase of said products.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 08:34:34 PM »
I would use HARP; roll only the 10s dice.  Let them use the 1's dice as a damage roll (rolling is fun) and add it during the critical stage.
Instead of using DPs; re-allocate the professions skill ranks every level.  If they want a skill not in a favored category; it costs 2 ranks from their other skills ranks (alla MERP).
Ignore spell scaling.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.