Author Topic: SM: P Tech Law VM 2-4 CVC Rules Determine Minimum Crew (22) p. 117 Part 5  (Read 1182 times)

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I'm confused because there appears to be two rules concerning the use of AI systems:

Determine Minimum Crew (22) Note 2 p. 117 states

Many craft are equipped with a sophisticated AI that replaces crewmen at a cost of ¢10,000 per crewman. In case of emergency, this leaves the crew dangerously understaffed for damage control procedures (-50). This cannot reduce a crew below 20% of its normal minimum.

Then on SM: P VM p. 118 there is Select AI Systems (24) states that:

1.  In some universes, robot brains can be installed to control a vehicle (this is not common in the Privateers universe because of the restrictions of the Zero Interface law). These typically do not take up enough volume or mass to worry about. As for cost, see Robotics Manual.

2.  A lower form of AI is MIRC (Maneuver Interface Robotic Controller). This installs a low-level AI which will scan the movements of a single crew member, and if the vehicle is humanoid-shaped, replicate them. This allows the vehicle to make a single extra striking attack using the crew member’s Martial Arts skill and the vehicle’s Melee value. This also takes no appreciable mass or volume.

Does the item I reference as 1 add more detail to Step 22 or is this something totally different?

Step 24 Item 2 is a special system which allows to operate a humanoid-shaped craft by bio-feedback. Can someone explain why this is lumped under the heading of Select AI Systems and not labeled as Select MIRC System?
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I'm confused because there appears to be two rules concerning the use of AI systems:

Determine Minimum Crew (22) Note 2 p. 117 states

Many craft are equipped with a sophisticated AI that replaces crewmen at a cost of ¢10,000 per crewman. In case of emergency, this leaves the crew dangerously understaffed for damage control procedures (-50). This cannot reduce a crew below 20% of its normal minimum.

Then on SM: P VM p. 118 there is Select AI Systems (24) states that:

1.  In some universes, robot brains can be installed to control a vehicle (this is not common in the Privateers universe because of the restrictions of the Zero Interface law). These typically do not take up enough volume or mass to worry about. As for cost, see Robotics Manual.

2.  A lower form of AI is MIRC (Maneuver Interface Robotic Controller). This installs a low-level AI which will scan the movements of a single crew member, and if the vehicle is humanoid-shaped, replicate them. This allows the vehicle to make a single extra striking attack using the crew member’s Martial Arts skill and the vehicle’s Melee value. This also takes no appreciable mass or volume.

Does the item I reference as 1 add more detail to Step 22 or is this something totally different?

Step 24 Item 2 is a special system which allows to operate a humanoid-shaped craft by bio-feedback. Can someone explain why this is lumped under the heading of Select AI Systems and not labeled as Select MIRC System?

1) IMHO it refers to an option in other universes in which craft are completely controlled by a robotic brain. This is not an option in SM:P but in SM2 there was one craft that was completely controlled by a robotic brain and automated repair units.

2) I do not know why they did not break out the MIRC to its own heading but IMHO it could be its own unique step.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Thanks for the feedback.

In the case of Step 24 I would have put the ability to have an AI as an alternate at the end of the design sequence and used the data for the MIRC.

Step 22 I might change the word from AI to an automated system.
Tom R