Author Topic: SM: P VM A-2.4 Determine Minimum Crew (22) Total Gunnery techs p. 117  (Read 4133 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I think payload modules fits in well here.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hi markc,

I think payload modules fits in well here.
MDC

Out voted again :o
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
 You can put them any where you would like, I just thought that payload pallets fit well with the other types of payloads.
 But you can put them where ever it fits best in your home construction rules. ;D

Also I am watching the Expendables 2 while posting so my attention is somewhat divided.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hi again markc,

The topic of this post is SM: P VM A-2.4 Determine Minimum Crew (22) Total Gunnery techs p. 117. Though payload pallets did make an appearance.

You can put them any where you would like, I just thought that payload pallets fit well with the other types of payloads.
 But you can put them where ever it fits best in your home construction rules. ;D

Also I am watching the Expendables 2 while posting so my attention is somewhat divided.
MDC

True you can insert topics anywhere, unfortunately that usually leads to confusion. In my case confusion is a normal state.
Tom R

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Reason I suggest downgrading them is that presently rockets are considered powered and unguided, missiles are guided and powered and travel through the air, torpedoes are powered munitions that travel through water (may or may not be guided).

My problem stems from the description "mark number determines how many missiles are fired in the salvo." In my understanding, rockets are fired in salvos, examples are: rockets pods, MLRS (Multi Launch Rocket System, which can cover a grid square with rockets). Firing missiles in salvo against a single target is often done to counter incoming attacks, which would fall under PD (Point Defense), this includes everything from rockets & missiles to aircraft. I know that multiple missile may be fired against a single target that was too large for a single missile to neutralize. But the system does not model that. Even rocket pods allowed the pilot to determine whether it was a single rocket or the whole pod; and some pods may have allowed more options..

This is really a discussion of semantics, the way missiles are described relate more to rockets to me, and missile & torpedo can be used interchangeably in a space environment, but I tend to see missiles as smaller and carried by starfighters for use against starfighters, while torpedoes are meant to be used against larger vessels.

All in all, considering the other issues in the construction system, this is a very, very, small point.

[EDIT]
Dang, missed that I had sparked more hen one post.
[/EDIT]

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Morning NanoEther,

Reason I suggest downgrading them is that presently rockets are considered powered and unguided, missiles are guided and powered and travel through the air, torpedoes are powered munitions that travel through water (may or may not be guided).

There is a torpedo that has a rocket motor attached that can be launched surface and submerged units, technically making the torpedo a airborne missile. Then there are the submarine launched ICBMs and cruise missiles which for a short time are technically torpedoed.

My problem stems from the description "mark number determines how many missiles are fired in the salvo." In my understanding, rockets are fired in salvos, examples are: rockets pods, MLRS (Multi Launch Rocket System, which can cover a grid square with rockets). Firing missiles in salvo against a single target is often done to counter incoming attacks, which would fall under PD (Point Defense), this includes everything from rockets & missiles to aircraft. I know that multiple missile may be fired against a single target that was too large for a single missile to neutralize. But the system does not model that. Even rocket pods allowed the pilot to determine whether it was a single rocket or the whole pod; and some pods may have allowed more options.

This is really a discussion of semantics, the way missiles are described relate more to rockets to me, and missile & torpedo can be used interchangeably in a space environment, but I tend to see missiles as smaller and carried by starfighters for use against starfighters, while torpedoes are meant to be used against larger vessels.

All in all, considering the other issues in the construction system, this is a very, very, small point.

Spacemaster Vehicle Manual, page 110, comments "that a fighter will always be the cheapest way to deliver the most damage in any situation. The reason is the fighter's "payload"."

In my book a fighter can use either missiles or torpedoes to take out a threat whether the target is another fighter or something else. If the attacking force has dozens of missiles and no torpedoes then the dozens of missiles will be used to take out the target.

I thought there was a way to design guided missiles, unfortunately I haven't worked in SpaceMaster recently so I might be confusing design systems.

[EDIT]
Dang, missed that I had sparked more hen one post.
[/EDIT]
Tom R

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
There are no missile design rules, and I don't think my adjustments to the pallet rules really allow for a torpedo (or other 'pallet' system) to be designed.

(need to double check blaster law & the robotics manual, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing in either of those)

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Afternoon PST NanoEther,

There are no missile design rules, and I don't think my adjustments to the pallet rules really allow for a torpedo (or other 'pallet' system) to be designed.

(need to double check blaster law & the robotics manual, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing in either of those)

Oops, I met that I thought there was a way to build a probe that had a warhead instead of instrumentation. I'm probably recalling the method from GURPS, Traveller, or some other system.
Tom R