Author Topic: Attacking an Unconscious Foe  (Read 1114 times)

Offline ubiquitousrat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Attacking an Unconscious Foe
« on: April 10, 2011, 01:14:45 AM »
Hi,

New ish to running HARP so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

When an opponent reaches 0 Hits they fall unconscious. Are there any rules for Coup De Grace or similiar in HARP? Or do you just keep hacking at him on the ground? How is this handled?

Any help appreciated.

Regards
UbiRat

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Attacking an Unconscious Foe
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 06:47:42 AM »
I didn't find a rule for it in Martial Law. My ruling would probably be you get a free 100 (no open ending) with the weapon you're using, +whatever your OB is. Opponent still gets DB from armor, but nowhere else. And I'd ignore weapon damage caps.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline ubiquitousrat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 08:06:47 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I am glad that it wasn't just me being blind when reading the rules.
 ;)

Offline jurasketu

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 11:13:55 AM »
Because HARP rounds are TWO seconds, if you're trying to finish some one or thing off in a single round - it really requires an "attack" against a defenseless foe...

So I think most GMs simply allow a player to kill a defenseless foe by taking 10 to 30+ unhurried rounds to do so as long as they have means to do so. Obviously, finishing off a Dragon would be a bit more problematic than a small animal [ignoring the psych aspect of the latter] and so might require more time or better means.

In my own game, I use location based damage rules and allow players to take penalties to adjust/choose location. Choosing location with a penalty in my game is most useful when you need to finish off something in a hurry.
It is better to be lucky than good, but it is *best* to be both.

When in fear, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:51:37 PM »
Hrm...

I'd say it's a routine Ambush roll, the results are read on the chart and the RR is a Stamina roll to survive.

I'd say it takes one standard round to complete provided the attacker is free to move, has a piercing or slashing weapon, and is not under attack. If any of these conditions are not met, the coup de grace can't occur.

I'd use the same mechanics when attacking a sleeping or otherwise helpless defender.

>>ReaperWolf

Offline Pat

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 07:00:55 AM »
I'd rule that you can't be under attack to coup de grace an unconscious opponent. Other than that, if the opponent is not wearing head armour then a kill can be done in one round. For any armour other full plate (that includes a helmet) would be 2 rounds. One to find an exposed area (or create an exposed area) around the throat and the second round for the kill. Full plate would be an extra round due to its improved coverage.

This could be adapted if the player wishes to perform a coup de grace in another location, such as stabbbing a foe in the heart, however I would add additional rounds for chest armour etc

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 11:42:41 AM »
That makes sense: anyone who'd do a coup de grace while his opponents are still active deserves what he gets.
#LotorAllura2024