Author Topic: Topic: SM: Privateers VM Construction & Design: Armor Belt  (Read 1826 times)

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Topic: SM: Privateers VM Construction & Design: Armor Belt
« on: March 19, 2011, 11:45:05 AM »
In the real world protective armor, like the Armor Belt SM: P VM p. 99, is replaced by newer armor, gets damaged in combat or by crashing into something, say a mountain side. 

I've checked my books and the DataNet PDFs without finding away to simulate patching the damaged armor belt.

Here is my idea for simulating armor replacement:

Enter the amount of armor needing to be replaced up to the original amount.

Enter the Armor Belt Protection DB if different from the original purchase.

Select the CAT of the Armor Belt if different from the original material installed.

Replacement Armor Belt Mass = Mass installed

Replacement Armor Belt Cost = (CAT Cost Multiplier x Replacement Armor Belt Mass x Armor Pelt Protection Cost Multiplier)

Example: A TL 25 TMAC, the Tanya named for the pilots girl,  with CAT XVI with a +5 DB has lost 2 tons of Armor Belt in combat. Due to the intensity of combat resupply of parts and material is hit or miss. In this case the last of the CAT XVI replacement armor in supply and anything scavenged from other craft have been used. There is a supply of Reinforced Crystanium CAT XV that the Tanya's crew chief can get through supply. Cutting a new supply chit, the CAT XV armor cost is:
7 (CAT XV Cost Multiplier) x 2 (CAT XV mass used) x 100 (DB Cost Multiplier) = ¢1,400. With some sweat, and a lot of cursing by the ground crew, the Tanya is made ready for the next sortie.

Does the above idea work and sound reasonable or am I out to lunch?
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Topic: SM: Privateers VM Construction & Design: Armor Belt
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »
 IIRC there is info on this in the errata section on Defendi's website and it should be rewritten in the errata section that MarcR did for SM in the VM section.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:29:37 PM »
I think that the web gremlins are messing with me since I missed the entry on the ICE errata page. Of course, my idea appears to actually have been drawn from the errata at sometime in the past.

I never say how to repair hits on ships.  Use the following rules:  The cost multiplier of the armor belt in credits per hit, times the multiplier for the CAT, per hit.  If it has no armor belt, use 100 credits per hit multiplied by the cost multiplier of the CAT. If it has a superior quality bonus, multiply the cost by its multiplier of the CAT and the quality multiplier.

I think that there are two differences between my suggestion and the formula in the errata.

The errata uses the term hit points and I used tons. I only multiply the Belt Cost Multiplier and CAT Cost Multiplier by the lost tons/hit points once while the errata, if I understand correctly, twice.

Using my example I think the text tells me to calculate the replacement cost like this:

7 (CAT XV Cost Multiplier) x 2 (hit points) x 100 (DB Cost Multiplier) x 2 (hit points) = ¢2,800.

Am I on the right track now?

Off-topic: Did you receive the stand alone weapon design spreadsheet I sent you on 3/12?
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 11:10:06 PM »
 I have not had time to look at the differences between your proposal and the rules in the errata. And I might not for a time as I have some projects that need my attention. If no one provides any comments ask me again in a few weeks.

I was also thinking that the armor belt should/might be modified by the type of armor for the hull.  So higher CAT's would supply more hits and possibly DB than lesser CAT's. Or if they did provide the same "bonuses" then if their density was greater or lesser then the weight could be mod'ed up or down for the CAT.

But those were just some thoughts late at night I had.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 07:09:34 AM »
No problem, I'll leave the replies to my questions to someone else while your busy.

I have to agree that 2 tons of Collosium should have a better protection value than the 2 tons of steel.

Hope the project rolls along without any major and very few bumps.
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 02:57:22 PM »
 I also have not had time to look at the sheet you sent over. But it is on the list.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »
Kind of figured the spreadsheet was on the back burner, again no problem take care of the real world stuff first.
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 10:43:52 PM »
What did you want me to look at specifically? Did you want me to check it for errors?

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 12:16:01 AM »
The spreadsheet shows how I'm trying to provide a way to upgrade or downgrade, in the case of the spreadsheet I sent, the weapons. The spreadsheet did return the design example numbers for the weapons.

Yes, please tun an independent test to see if the bloody thing really works, when you have the time.
Tom R