Author Topic: Vacuum Power and Reaction-less Drive  (Read 1557 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Vacuum Power and Reaction-less Drive
« on: January 26, 2011, 06:27:12 PM »
 From my other post on Vacuum Power Power Plants I was wondering if Reaction-less Drives required full power all the time or if there was a direct power to thrust ratio. Such as I increase the power to the engines and I go faster. If I do not have the power then I cannot go that fast.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: Vacuum Power and Reaction-less Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:58:31 PM »
I think I already answered that.  :)  RAW, it would work, but logically, it would probably severely damage the system unless the system was specifically designed to handle it.  If I was a GM, the engineer would have to work a small miracle to save the engine if they tried to run it under those conditions.  For damage control reason, it would likely shut down smoothly if the power dropped, especially on a combat ship where it has to be able to handle combat damage.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:12:14 PM »
you could come up a formula like the old 2300 Stutterwarp Drive.
Remember that gravity, tonnage and available mW,  (Power) all contributed to the "velocity" of a vessel. All could be and often were different values.

Closer to a star, the more power you can absorb from photovoltaics but, the more gravity will mire your progress against the eliptic. IIRC... (might be confusing games)
Vacuum Power could have changed everything or could just be a new type of generator.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 09:26:42 PM »
I think I already answered that.  :) 

;D You did I just wanted to break it out so maybe others could see your answer and have a chance to comment without mudding up the other thread. ;D
Thanks
MDC

I am just exploring here but what about a 2nd engine that is not used all the much and can contribute when things get interesting? That way the other power plants could power the secondary engine that is designed to be used in conjunction with the primary engine. I would say that this would increase the cost of the design as it is an unusual request.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 09:54:51 PM »
Like a backup or emergency powerplant?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 11:26:28 PM »
Like a backup or emergency powerplant?

Well yes and no. Yes that it could be used as a backup when necessary but no in that it could also be used in addition to the main power plant and main drive. I think most back up drives and power plants use the same basic mechanism to work. IE they are in the same place or very close by. I am thinking of a secondary sect of power plants and drives that are not used all the time. So if someone scans the ship they can tell what is active and that is it. When the time comes turn on the other systems and now your ship suddenly has the advantage, more of an advantage or enough to run fast-er than they did before.
 But those are just thoughts and ideas I got from reading a fairly good (enjoyable) series of book by Mike Shepard, the Kris Longknife Series. Somewhat like the Honor Harrington series by Webber but very enjoyable. At least I enjoyed them a lot. In the series they scan a ship and can tell what type of power plant is active and maybe if there is a second deactivated plant. But it is rare that they can detect unpowered power plants. They can make a guess that there might be another power plant of think that the ship maybe underpowered but they do not have hard facts.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 12:10:19 AM »
Really I don't see any problem with it.  Most ships will have multiple thruster units sticking out the back so even if they've got narrow operating ranges they can just fire more or fewer units.

Heck back when folks were trying to convert High Guard ships to Megatraveller the only way you could do it was to install two power plants because the fuel rules made it impossible to run on full power all the time.

Even with vacuum power and reactionless drives (one day I will run a campaign where there are no planets in the universe because the player characters destroyed them all) it's probably not a bad idea to run the day to day needs of the ship on a smaller plant and then have a dedicated plant for weapons and shields.

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 03:41:06 AM »
remember that bringing a new power plant online is not something that can be done in a matter of rounds.

It takes DAYS to bring a Nuke drive online today (if you were to shut down the power system of a Nuke sub - it would be out of commission for months ...)

Even if we assume a faster start up than that, cold-starting a power system to enable you to "ambush" a pursuing ship makes no sense. (what you want to do in this case is use massive Capacitive charges that will store residual power when the system does not require it ... and then can discharge it rapidly when required ... to compare it to the real world - many countries have "power stations" that are essentially just water pumps. At times of low power requirements, they pump water up hill into a reservoir. When power is required (say - during the superbowl intermission), they allow the water to run back downhill through the generators, dumping a % of the stored power back into the grid ...

Actually, WRT to the capacitors idea ... one of the reasons why blasters/lasers/etc may fire in a "pulsed" manner may be that the continuous power supply from the ship's power systems may be insufficient to fire the weapon ... it continuously feeds the capacitors, which can then release the power in a pulsed manner (each charge fires the weapon, the interval between discharges represents the time to accumulate the charge ...)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 09:40:39 AM »
For really big ships, two or more power units may make sense, for redundancy sake due to battle damage, and to reduce length of power cabling. (If your power is next to the drive, in the back of the ship, and something cuts the main power cable anywhere, anything forward of the cut in the line is depowered). . .you might have either loads of lines, or multiple power plants.

But that would be on a rather large ship, unlikely to be one PCs would be running around in.

Usually, space is a premium, due to the fact you need to fit everything inside something. . .you want to have all your critical systems inside the armor as one for instance. So usually design consists of paring back things until you end up with less than you wanted crammed tightly into too little space. . .there's a reason submariners tend to be skinny and/or short. This tends to stress efficiency, rather than clever trickery. . .a large naval ship might be inefficiently built with two power plants fore and aft, but can afford it as the benefit in combat efficiency and redundancy in being able to shut one plant down (or have the power runs to it cut by combat damage).

You're also likely to see naval ships built to run at say 80% of their powerplant(s), to leave 20% (or more) for "emergency power" or damage.

That said, Defendi's comment about brownouts is very true of high tech gear, and likely any ship with combat control would have automatic breakers. . and a hierarchy of systems. . . so if the ship loses 50% of it's power, rather than run at 50% on all systems, half the systems on the ship shut off completely. . .so if damage drops power, rather than everything running at 1/2, half the systems shut off. Though if some systems do have variable power levels they might just drop to a lower level.

Which I suspect is the root question of this thread. . .which systems in a ship can be turned down, rather than turned off, reducing their power needs?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com