Author Topic: Lesser Traps  (Read 935 times)

Offline Brakiri

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Lesser Traps
« on: January 20, 2011, 04:30:53 AM »
Hi folks,

i've a small question about a spell in the ranger list "Nature's Way".
At 8th level you can cast "Lesser Traps". The description sounds interesting, but there is not further explaination how this spell would work exactly.
Is it possible to magically construct a pit trap with wooden spikes on the bottom?
Would that only work on soft ground, or also with rocky ground?

Anything in a book you know about, that clarifies the working of this spell a little bit more?

Thanks!

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
Re: Lesser Traps
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:40:48 AM »
I would have saidf that lesser traps would be things like snare traps or trip wires ... created from natural substances given strength by the spell (briars/brambles/vines/strands of Ivy/mistletoe/etc)

Something like a pit trap would be on a different list (Barrier Law)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »
The traps form should be declared by the player and ok'ed by the GM.  I think the key to lesser is the trap will not do above a B crit.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 04:34:28 PM »
Brakiri;
 I agree that any trap concept would have to be approved by the GM. I as a GM might vary the trap concept by using Spell Mastery and or a high roll on spell casting. But that is just me and not official, besides the Spell Mastery option.

IMHO the spell would work in any natural environment with any natural materials.

Having said that IMHO a higher level spell would be required for a pit trap that added an additional barrier. ie the pit. I can see it add some wooden spikes to the ground or snares or maybe trip vines. Anything more deadly would require a higher level version of the spell, if there is one and/or using Spell Mastery.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Brakiri

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 06:59:40 AM »
Ok, thanks guys! :)

I will talk to the GM, see what he has to say.