Author Topic: Damage to equipment  (Read 4277 times)

Offline jeff

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Damage to equipment
« on: January 18, 2008, 11:27:50 PM »
There was an option for equipment damage. It was based on type of attack and was set up in a chart. Like Fire damage does this to paper and so on does anyone have access to this and if so can you post the chart.

Thanks Jeff
JBailey

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
Re: Damage to equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 03:51:07 AM »
I think the easiest solution is to assign HP to objects and use the material rules in books.

If I remember well, it was to make an attack, and any crit sverity was 10 additional HP, for magic doubles the damage.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 11:34:06 AM »
Jeff, which set of rules are you using? (I can probably point you in the right direction once I know that.)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline jeff

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 03:20:10 PM »
RmFRP but I think it was in a companion.
JBailey

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 03:29:19 PM »
I think the best I can do for you there is the table on p 228 of the RMSS Spell Law (only post RM2 version I have)

The section is a bit non-helpfully titled and indexed as "Wall Spells & Material Integrity" but it's actually just a table of common materials and then a formula to calculate hits per square inch (or hits per square foot) of materials and then side info on criticals.

That's not quite what you want I think, but it's close.

Only place I can think of in which the issue of materials vs criticals where the type of crit matters is the RMC Spell Law P 72-75 which discusses specific crit and element types vs materials that are "succeptable / normal / resistant / immune" to that specific element or attack type.

If there is an RMFRP version I'd like to compare them, so I'd be interested in which book myself.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 05:10:09 PM »
If there is an RMFRP version I'd like to compare them, so I'd be interested in which book myself.

IIRC the RMFRP version of Spell Law kept the infos about walls, but dropped all the things on common materials integrity.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 05:59:34 PM »
It might have made it into one of the "Of" books. I recall someone saying that those 3 books got errata and extra stuff over the RMSS/FRP spell law 3RealmsOneBook treatments. . .not sure, dinna have them.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 06:08:35 PM by LordMiller »

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 08:26:23 PM »
Use the old AdnD item save table.

I assign items a level and make an rr against attacks like fireball and stuff when appropriate.  Most mundane items such as cloth/thin wood/etc are level 1, but I make thick wood level 2, iron level 3 and steel level 5.  Gems and the like are lvl 8+.  Magic items resist at their level, which is equal to the highest level spell required to make the item.

Still, I used the ADnD table for a long time.  I only fully adapted level rr's after Treasure Companion came out and created uniform rules.

lynn 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 02:29:29 AM »
 IMO you should use the rules from Arms Law that talks about an items strength or relibality and you can apply them to items in any book that have the right stats. If an item rolls doubles then it has to make a save vs breakage roll d100+Rel or St and if it is over 100 it saves, if not the item breaks. A house rule I use is any time and item has to make a save then its Str or Rel goes down by 10.
 If you are trying to break down doors, statues etc use the rules for material in Spell Law to deal damage to them. I also think thier might be some more rules in Castles and Runis that might apply to biger structural things and siege stuff.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jeff

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 08:11:12 PM »
Yammer I like that idea. I'll have to try it out.
JBailey

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 01:20:37 PM »
I think the best I can do for you there is the table on p 228 of the RMSS Spell Law (only post RM2 version I have)

The section is a bit non-helpfully titled and indexed as "Wall Spells & Material Integrity" but it's actually just a table of common materials and then a formula to calculate hits per square inch (or hits per square foot) of materials and then side info on criticals.

That's not quite what you want I think, but it's close.

Only place I can think of in which the issue of materials vs criticals where the type of crit matters is the RMC Spell Law P 72-75 which discusses specific crit and element types vs materials that are "succeptable / normal / resistant / immune" to that specific element or attack type.

I think the section in RMFRP is drastically reduced from the RMSS version, which itself was a reduced version of the Materials Integrity section of RM2 Companion V
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 01:35:58 PM »
looks like the notes in RMC Spell Law are the most complete, currenly for sale version, sorry.

Offline thass

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
I will try the idea of Yammahoper too.
Thanks  ;)

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 04:37:40 AM »
The problem with giving items hits based on materials are that this solution only works when dealing with for instance Icewalls. An axe is for instance a object that is close to impossible to destroy by pure violence...on the other hand banging the axe into the ground a couple of times will destroy the edge and make it pretty useless. This goes for most objects that PCs may want to destroy.

It is shame that we are stuck with watered down version of Rm2 comp 5. Without that that we would perhaps instead had been given solid guidelines and rules for how to resolve attempts to destroy typical items. Perhaps this would be a good topic for RM Quartly.
/Pa Staav

Offline jeff

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 05:04:06 PM »
My thought was more along the lines of said party member loves throwing fire balls at his enemies. The damage this does to scrolls and potion vials has to be immense. Thats not to say what acid and nether do.
JBailey

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 06:52:02 PM »
Passtav,

I've broken loads of axes/mauls/sledgehammers. Generally either the shaft splits (which can be scary as hell) or the head snaps off. . .and a war axe is not a maul or a wood splitting axe, so I'd suspect it'd break more easily if used to chop solid wood, or if you used the back end to try and break a stone or metal door. They're meant to hit people, and people give. . .so the heads are thinner, sharper, and made of higher carbon, more brittle steel. (A sledgehammer or wood axe head is almost iron, it will deform, bend and/or mushroom before finally chipping, breaking or splitting.)

Jeff,

The RMC Spell Law has the RMSS spell law section on structural damage, then it also has an element by element, crit by crit breakdown of of effects on the environment.

It covers all the SL crit types. . .so it won't cover acid or nether, but it does do heat, cold, impact, electical, shock, lightning, ice, fire. . . .

Technically, no spell will affect gear on a person short of a specific crit result saying so (Aura protection rule). . .but if you fireball someone's tent, the rules in RMC spell law cover what burns and what doesn't.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 07:24:44 PM »
Bah, amke everything save.  PC's do not deserve such breaks as everything being immune unless the crit specifies the damage.

UP WITH GM FIAT!!!!

;)

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 08:03:48 PM »
heh. . . . if you want realism, a fireball kills you by searing your lungs. . . .the vast majority of people engulfed in super hot fire, even for just a couple seconds, are dead or critical. (OK, fine, it only burns off all your exposed skin, including your face. . . .)

I've played that way, where any firebolt hit will set your clothing on fire, etc. . .but it tends to get a bit ugly. . .or even more ugly than RM is already.

As to the fiat bit. . .the crit result says "Hit in shield arm" etc. in the absence of a hit location table, how exactly would you determine anything like 2ndary elemental attack results except by the crit result?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 10:18:15 PM »
Talking about fire crits, I allways liked the kindel crits. They were a great souce of mirth during some RM2 games and even lead to some additional damage if you got 2 kindel cits back to back.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 07:56:57 AM »
Well, I was mostly speaking in jest.  I too rely on the crit result/location struck to resolve what might be damaged or destroyed.

I was serious about GM fiat, however ;D

lynn