Author Topic: Spell Compendium  (Read 12349 times)

kazapp

Re: Spell Compendium
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 10:53:10 AM »
I think a Spell Compendium would be a great idea!

Reworked core spells to match the College of Magic rules would be even better!

But doing the above and add suggestions on how to use the COM mechanism to tweak aspect costs to make the level of magic exactly right for your campaign world (high magic? low magic?) would be the bestest!

:)

Offline Mattiyaho

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 12:24:57 PM »
I like the pdf idea with sorting the spells by spheres. If you have a harper just pull out the harper sphere and keep it with the character for easy reference.

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 01:41:29 PM »
All game systems evolve and HARP TOO!
Maybe a compendium will be obsolete after some time but I think that this book will be a good new: not searching in all others books for spells in a stressful moment (combat aarrgghh), and update the cost from base spells.
Base+COM+ certains HB spells in ONE BOOK: I'm for this!
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline Lazvon

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Tarn in HARP
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 01:46:04 PM »
I like the idea myself as well. If you don't want to purchase it, then don't. For those of us who want to have the latest and greatest, we'll purchase everyone that you release.

No one is MAKING anyone purchase it though, so I'm not sure what would make folks feel like they are being milked.
Official comments will be between Moderation and End Moderation. Otherwise comments are personal opinion.

"Knowledge comes from crafted bindings and pages... not ones and zeros." -- Rupert Giles

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 01:53:08 PM »
I would certainly find a simple list of all the spells in their respective spheres/circles and book/page references very useful. Particularly because the Codex does not classify its additional spells in tabular form and the Grimoire suffers from being pdf-only so "is out of sight, out of mind".

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 02:14:55 PM »
<...> and the Grimoire suffers from being pdf-only so "is out of sight, out of mind".

A bit off-topic, but the Grimoire is not available in any of the shops anymore...

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
    • Tim's RPG YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 06:17:40 PM »
Why not put out "Spell Compendium I" and then when new spells come out in the future put them in "Spell Compendium II", and etc.

That way you don't have to reprint the 1st spells in the 1st spellbook over again.

I would recommend waiting till you have a good bit of spells to put in the first one however.  Maybe waiting till after Something Wicked would be a good idea.

Maybe having a PDF that you could buy online that was always up to date with all of the Harp Spells would be a good idea.  You could label the online PDF like software so people know when it is updated.  Version 1.8 etc.

Just some ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 09:21:37 PM »
IMHO,

I would settle this issue the way Training Package costs were re-worked in RMSS.  That is, release a PDF that says "These are now the official Power Point Costs for all HARP spells released to this point."
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 09:01:49 AM »
Dutch's plan seems the most equitable.  It will also free up space if added to a different product.

Likewise a simple index to find what is where might be helpful incase future optional suppliments reference past optional suppliments.  For example one of the EoH books references the paladin class but does not mention where the paladin class could be found - though in the Bestiary elementals from Bazaar #5 are.

On a related question - will all future published spells use the CoM method?
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 09:31:27 AM »
Dutch's plan seems the most equitable.  It will also free up space if added to a different product.

Likewise a simple index to find what is where might be helpful incase future optional suppliments reference past optional suppliments.  For example one of the EoH books references the paladin class but does not mention where the paladin class could be found - though in the Bestiary elementals from Bazaar #5 are.

On a related question - will all future published spells use the CoM method?

Like this -- http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item79

Offline Mr. Fixit

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Give it some gumption!
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2007, 10:35:26 AM »
Ha! Like that.
But I still support the printed book Compendium idea.  It would be nice to have and convenient to use. A new book now is better than a new book later. Plus, I just want another green and yellow book spine on my shelf!
"Give me an axe British man, and show me where to throw it!"

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 10:58:20 AM »
Exactly.  I don't have all the bazaars so I don't know if spells and such have been added, or the Grimoire apparently (or I just misplaced the file somewhere..)  Also by listing the spells you are also listing the classes in case they are referenced separately.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2007, 01:25:41 PM »
Have you seen the date that file was uploaded? That really is SPOOKY and probably magical! ;) 1970, what kind of future vision scaling option is necessary, what amount of skill ranks is necessary to obtain such detailed information from more than 30 years into the future?! Scary!

Still, very useful!

However and anyway (you just have to love those words) a complete spell compendium or grimoire is an excellent idea and should hit the store as a pdf at least before Christmas ... that's what I'm saying, and also those who heavily rely on magic in my group!
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline msherliza

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2007, 11:18:29 AM »
I would buy the Spell Compendiun in a heartbeat. Its gotta be better than the one I put together. The PDF version with updates as needed would be best.

Pax
Michael

Offline kafka

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2007, 07:09:54 PM »
i would definitely part cash for this.the re-price on the core spells via COM has me interested

P.S

get it done :)

Offline Crypt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I like to officially parry arrows with my head
    • CryptRL
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2007, 09:16:12 PM »
Let us know!!

Yes!  A very good thing !

Offline Xamex

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Clubbulls
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2007, 08:49:05 AM »
I must agree with Bruce. Although I also dislike flicking through book after book to find a certain spell, I also don't see how this could be remedied by another book to flick through (which it would be once new spells come out).
GURPS did that, didn't they? Having rules anywhere, and after a while, they made a compendium, just to publish new material again, making a new compendium... *shudder* That always feels my customer-milking to me (which I'm sure noone is intending, but the feeling remains).

Proposal: I don't know if this is economically feasible, but if you made that HARP Spell Compendium as a PDF, you could give it away for a lower price to anyone buying a new magic book (PDF or print, with a code or something).
Alternatively, bring out HARP Spell Compendium 1.0 as a PDF, and make versions 1.1 to 1.9 (or whatever) available as free updates to the people who bought the 1.0. I'm sure you're new shop could do such a thing.

So, all in all: As a PDF I would conceive it as a nice service to the people who buy all the magic books, as a printed book I'd feel I had to buy it, but wouldn't like to spend that much money (as it would be more expensive than a PDF), just to have it outdated after the next HB.

My 2 cents.

I like your 2 cents.  ;)

A Spell Compendium as pdf I would buy, but not as book.
www.clubbulls.com

Offline Gavilan

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2007, 09:40:31 AM »
Good idea. But i would not like to get it easily out of date with new material. So maybe a pdf version that could be actualized would be the best.

See you

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2007, 12:30:44 PM »
I also think a subscription for updates would be a great idea. Maybe if new spells get published in new book or Bazaar and you purchase that, you get an automatic download of the new version of the Spell Companion to have it complete and updated again.
This should work fine for the pdf. Real book is a problem of course but maybe the pdf could be more than low-res so that it is printable and bindable by a book binder to make the spell companion you want to have - in leather! ;)
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Hobilar

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2008, 12:11:10 PM »
I'd buy a Spell Compendium book - or PDF if I had to.  ;)

I have no problems with books going obsolete and then buying another, as my wall full of various games systems will attest.