Author Topic: Creatures & Monsters  (Read 3577 times)

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
Creatures & Monsters
« on: October 28, 2007, 01:34:25 PM »
We all know, according to the rules, that the creatures and monsters as presented in the core HARP book are all created as Fighters with 75's in all stats.
At some point I am going to create my own templates of the most common creatures (goblins, orcs, etc.) of various levels, professions, and with more "realistic" stat values.

However, in the meantime, does anyone have a fast and simple rule to tone down the monsters as presented in core book?
I mean, if I want my Goblins to be "warriors" with lower OB, hits, and stats as opposed to "Fighters" as presented in the book -or- I want my Giant Rats not as giant as in the book...
How should I modify the creature stats in the core book?

Oh... No, I don't have M:aFG.. ;D
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
Re: Creatures & Monsters
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 05:17:16 PM »
From the top of my head? lower the stat values. This will incrementally decrease their powers, albeit not perhaps to the level you desire.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 05:27:18 PM »
Thanks, but I am looking for a hard and fast rule... such as, -10 to OB, -x to zy, per level difference or something along those lines...

...Thanks for the input though ;D

www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 07:52:47 PM »
Stats -- dropping stats from 75 to 50 will result in a 10 point drop in all skills and OB's and DBs

As Fighters, they have the equivalent of 3 ranks per level in primary weapon, and approximately 2 ranks per level in secondary weapons, and only 1 rank per level in RR skills (IIRC), so if you want to reduce effectiveness, you can easily do it in three stages by creating a table that marks those three stages and the skill rank bonus for each. Then you subtract the middle from the highest to get your adjustment modifier for each level.

It requires you doing the figuring, but once you do, you can make a handy little chart to use on the fly when needed.

Offline Thos

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 07:55:44 PM »
Stats -- dropping stats from 75 to 50 will result in a 10 point drop in all skills and OB's and DBs

As Fighters, they have the equivalent of 3 ranks per level in primary weapon, and approximately 2 ranks per level in secondary weapons, and only 1 rank per level in RR skills (IIRC), so if you want to reduce effectiveness, you can easily do it in three stages by creating a table that marks those three stages and the skill rank bonus for each. Then you subtract the middle from the highest to get your adjustment modifier for each level.

It requires you doing the figuring, but once you do, you can make a handy little chart to use on the fly when needed.

If there's one thing I've learned from ICE, it's that handy little charts ROCK!
My wizards are many, but their essence is mine. Forever they are in the hills in their stone homes of grief. Because I am the spirit of their existence. I am them.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 08:28:12 PM »
Remember that DPs also decrease with stat decreases, so less available ranks too, if that?s how the monsters were made originally. This increases the math perhaps, but oh well;) I?m not sure the monsters were created by using DPs based on stats.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 09:10:28 PM »
Great!
Thanks all! ;D
www.strategypage.com