Author Topic: A Talent Stacking Question: Elemental Defense  (Read 647 times)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
A Talent Stacking Question: Elemental Defense
« on: September 19, 2023, 06:57:52 PM »
Although I have a feeling I already know the answer, does Elemental Defense stack with Affinity of Element or Imbued with Element? Thank you.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: A Talent Stacking Question: Elemental Defense
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 10:44:53 AM »
Based on comparing the three talents Affinity of Element, Elemental Defense, and Imbued with Element; I'm still not sure how I'd rule. Whereas the first and the last give a bonus to DB and RR against the element, and a casting bonus using the element, Elemental Defense only gives a DB bonus against the element. Therefore, I'm not sure if I'd prevent it if a character had one of the other two talents in addition to Elemental Defense  (same Element), or have only the best talent active.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline RobinSteZ

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 08:03:39 AM »
Not sure myself as I'm trying to get to grips with the rules. But I think the rules state 'imbued with an element' is a racial/special ability which would stack with the talent 'affinity of ...'. Just like described at the beginning of the talents section in Core Law. For example Lightning Reflexes can stack for a Gryx Fighter. I would argue 'imbued with element' would be the natural standard for this race, and 'affinity of' would represent someone of that race with special affinity.

The 'elemental defense' is a blood talent which can only be purchased at character creation and would replace one of the character’s normal racial Special Abilities. But that would still allow it to stack with the other two talents I think.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 11:01:56 AM »
I'm still not sure, many talents that have multiple levels, the character can buy one or more of them, but for example if you buy the next Tough Hide up from the one you already have, it only provides the difference between the DB bonus of the two Tough Hide Talents.

You are correct, Imbued With Element is a racial ability for the Bentaxa, it is "like" Affinity of Element with the exception that all parts are doubled. So it would be useless for a Bentaxa to take Affinity of Element for the same element as their Imbued with Element, taking it for any of the other three elements would still make sense.

Elemental Defense provides the least of all three.

So breaking it down:
Elemental Defense <Element>: DB Bonus +10 vs. Element (from Bestiary)
Affinity of <Element>: DB and RR Bonus +10 vs. Element, Casting Bonus with Element +5 (from College of Magics)
Imbued with <Element>: As Affinity of Element, just doubled. (from Folkways)

Thus, if you have Elemental Defense (Fire) and Affinity of Fire, you only get a +10 DB bonus vs. Fire but you do benefit from the other parts of the Affinity talent.

Also, point of clarification: Core Law?

#LotorAllura2024

Offline RobinSteZ

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 01:52:03 PM »
I was looking in the rule books where I can find how to buy 'tough hide' or if buying the next Tough Hide only provides the difference as you stated but could not find it. Not argueing if this is true as it seems common sense. But could you point me to where these rules are stated? I did find the costs for very tough hides in 'New Esoteric and Supernatural Talents' from Bestiary.

About 'Core Law', my mistake which is probably from my time using Rolemaster, I meant the Core rulebook for Harp Fantasy.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 04:24:48 PM »
Oddly, it may have been in HARP SF when looking at the Genetic Adaptation talent, where it stated that a character cannot take a higher level of a talent if they don't already have the lower one from their species ability. I believe this is also where I found that you don't get +30 DB for taking the +10 Tough Hide and then taking the +20 one.
#LotorAllura2024