Forum > Fan Created Worlds

Dark Sun, Revisited.

(1/5) > >>

PiXeL01:
I wrote the 8 page version of the Dark Sun conversion ages ago, but now I have finally gotten back to revisit and revise it.

Note it’s still very much WIP with much of Rolemaster and the Dark Sun setting to consider.

Link to Live Document - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o3S2cIUswlxV3P0JrCh8WI8JvaQI1Ev1pdqa8nvCvno/edit

Changes from the first release:
- Psionics have changed a little
- added some weapons
- changed material bonuses, bone and stone is now 0 while iron is +10
- Professions revised a little
- Races revised a little
- Natural Psionic Power Points as for RMC optional rule
- optional usage of Fire and Ice for Clerics

Things to do:
- shipping list
- treasure list
- armors
- Psionic disciplines needs to be reconsidered
- monsters
- transformations to superior beings
- revised skill lists
- revised spell effects?
- Thri-Kreen Power Point regeneration

Considerations:
- Arcane lists being Psionic Enhancements, how many would be needed for transformation and at what level?
- Druid needs other elementals lists in addition to standard base lists?

Let me hear your ideas and critique

RandalThor:

--- Quote from: PiXeL01 on October 15, 2020, 06:25:10 AM ---Let me hear your ideas and critique
--- End quote ---
OK.

Let me say this up front: Dark Sun is my favorite setting of all time.

I never did get a chance to play DS using RM rules, though I have wanted to for a long time. RM is just a better fit, IMO, for the setting, particularly its supposed deadliness which never seemed to make an appearance when playing it with D&D rules. (Yes, I know they were AD&D 2nd edition, but that was less deadly than AD&D 1e, as HP bloat started there.) All of that is just to say that I never got a chance to really dig into the rules you put together, though I assume they are based on RM 2nd edition, and I have a moderate grasp of those. (I am more familiar with RMSS/FRP.) So I just took a glance at them (not the ones you just did, so you might have addressed these, if so, ignore) and noticed a couple of things:

Defilers. These spellcasters have a reason they are defilers other than just being bad. Sort of like the Dark Magic in The Dragon Prince on Netflix - I highly recommend it, and never knew I wanted Scottish sounding elves until that show - and the Dark Side of The Force in Star Wars, it has an element of ease to it that is seductive. I did not see anything in them to note that using defiling makes casting spells easier/quicker, which it should. I don't think it needs to make learning spell lists easier, but utilizing defiling methods for spellcasting should make casting spells - and maybe overcasting - much faster. (Or possible, when talking about overcasting.) All the details of how much plant-life is destroyed is fine, though I would handwave it as a GM; too much trouble to bother with in game.

Psionics. I do not like these being handled like magic. Psionics should feel different, for the player, and not just be said to be different. I get that the whole "Mentalism" school looks like an easy route to take, I just don't think it is the right one for DS psionics. Instead I say look to how they are handled in Spacemaster: Privateers. I think that could be used better to model the whole "Wild Talent" thing, as well.

May I ask for more detail on what you mean by: "revised spell-effects?" Are you asking if we think some spell effects should be altered?

Edit: Just downloaded it and will take a look over the weekend.

PiXeL01:
Thanks for the thoughts. I appreciate the feedback and would welcome more and better ideas. I chose RM2/c because that is the only RM I’ve played. I did own and ran Privateers, but only once. That is the reason behind making Psionics the new Mentalism but still slightly different. I did not want to expose my RM players of old to something completely alien. I will look into the Privateers psionic system if I can find my books. 

But in general I have been trying to stay true to the initial box set.

Defiler - I chose to reduce spell classes as a compromise for having them advance in level faster, which it appears you agree with except you are saying the deduction should also be applied when overcasting. As for the reason they are defining is they want power and do not care how to get it.
As for the radius of life being drained you’re it might not need a formula or table. I did think of saying a feet by lvl of spell, maybe half that in green areas.

As for spell effects I was thinking about water spells but maybe it’s not worth the trouble. ^^

RandalThor:

--- Quote from: PiXeL01 on October 16, 2020, 12:38:45 AM ---Thanks for the thoughts. I appreciate the feedback and would welcome more and better ideas. I chose RM2/c because that is the only RM I’ve played. I did own and ran Privateers, but only once. That is the reason behind making Psionics the new Mentalism but still slightly different. I did not want to expose my RM players of old to something completely alien. I will look into the Privateers psionic system if I can find my books.
--- End quote ---
I can see that.

--- Quote from: PiXeL01 on October 16, 2020, 12:38:45 AM ---Defiler - I chose to reduce spell classes as a compromise for having them advance in level faster, which it appears you agree with except you are saying the deduction should also be applied when overcasting. As for the reason they are defining is they want power and do not care how to get it.
--- End quote ---
I guess I am far less familiar with RM2/C, but I don't know what you mean by "reduce spell classes." Never mind, found it. That basically does the same thing, makes it faster/easier to cast. That looks to be an elegant solution.

--- Quote from: PiXeL01 on October 16, 2020, 12:38:45 AM ---As for spell effects I was thinking about water spells but maybe it’s not worth the trouble. ^^
--- End quote ---
Water effects should definitely be lessened, water is a big thing for Dark Sun. Spells that create water should be, at the very least, increased in level dramatically. I would think that the lowest level water creation spell should be around 10th level, though I think really 15th or even 20th. Dark Sun is a tough and dangerous place and making it easier should not come quick or cheap. IMO. Or, instead of rearraigning the spell lists, just make all lists that deal with water classified as Restricted, and any spells on other lists that deal with water cost twice the PP. Something like that.

PiXeL01:
As I was planning my next session I thought to allow Archmages into the setting, though not with access to all three realms, instead as the only Essence Psionicist of the setting. This fits the setting’s paths toward Dragon or Avangion and keeps Channeling exclusively Druids, Clerics, Templars, and Rangers.

Also, i was thinking to change the background option “Archmage Abilities” to “Character can choose base lists from two realms; either Essence/Psionic or Channeling/Psionics. Access to Channeling requires pact with an Element”.

Thoughts are welcome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version