Forum > Fan Created Worlds

Name my setting please

<< < (2/4) > >>

Nightblade42:
Slightly, but I could see how the etymologies give you an African vibe.  The countries are more southern European in climate & geography (Gibralter, Spain, France, Monaco, Italy, Greece, Crete, etc…), but there's no reason why the cultures living there couldn't be more African-esque in their cultural origins.  Interesting.

You're right about sharing ideas with others of like minds - it just expands the creativity.  Awesome!  Thanks Peter!

Nightblade ->--

p.s. This is my 299th post - is it my last as a Seeker Of Wisdom? Does it mean I have somehow gained some wisdom?  Well, I am sort of doing better than Socrates. All he knew is that he knew nothing at all (one of his famous quotes).  I can count what I know on my fingers (and not all of them, mind you); but I don't know if that makes me wise…

Sorry, did I mention I majored in Philosophy at University?  I didn't go to school to get a job, I went to school to learn something.  I guess that's why I work as a lifeguard & swimming instructor  ;D

Peter R:
So next question.

What are you creating; is it just a setting for an campaign, so it will probably never get beyond these three countries or are you building an entire world?

Bruce Heard's Calidar is a system neutral setting. He is detailing the entire world bit by bit. Each book is about 130 pages long. There are three books so far and he has earned about $20,000 per book on KS. His one adventure raised $12,000. Then of course they are for sale on DTRPG. Of course he has a hell of a track record and reputation. He world is a basically fantasy world with some science fantasy elements.

Most settings seem to take their name from the planetary body. Campaign settings are more creatively named.

Calidar is very pretty!

Nightblade42:
Originally it was just a story idea.  But our discussion about possibly developing RMU settings has inspired me to maybe develop it a little bit more.  It wouldn't be an entire world (I have enough on my hands when it comes to world building with Nytheun), so probably just a Campaign Setting.  If other people wanted to expand on it, there would be lots of room.

I'm attaching a copy of the map to give a better idea of the geography.

Perhaps something like Fallen Monarch - but that says Fantasy to me, not really Pulp.  Maybe Coil World, but that's not very exciting…

I'll keep thinking on it.  Thank you for your input & questions Peter.

And yes, Calidar looks beautiful.

Nightblade ->--

Peter R:
Thinking of a sort of word association game here. The word that leaps out at me from those sort of pulp detective stories has always been jeopardy as in double jeopardy.

I think exile is quite evocative as well.

If you have title and by line together that gives you a slightly higher word count to get you concept across.

Nightblade42:
How about combining the two:

Jeopardy Exile with a by-line like: Pulp Politics on a strange world.

I really like Jeopardy Exile, not sure about the by-line though…

Nightblade ->--

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version