Forum > Website and Forum Feedback

Updating ROC for IP Issues

(1/3) > >>

markc:
It has been a while since I was here last and I have been wondering if the Rules of Conduct has been changed to protect ICE's Intellectual Property (IP) regarding post in the ICE Forum?
That is to say I have seen in other companies products things that were posted here and the other company publishes the info in their products at a later date. Some of the specific ideas I have seen traps, magic items, rules to solve game rule problems and/or other basic/advanced game issues.   

Poster Id Update:
One thing you could do is require all posters/accounts to list if they work for another game and/or RPG company or are a RPG freelancer and have some sort of graphic to let other posters easily know that they are.
Why? IMHO it is important who are the possible people who might be using the ICE Forums as a "crowd source" method to build their companies games and or solve problems they then profit off of.

Limit Who can view specific areas:
The reason you want to limit the ability to view specific areas is to make sure that the viewer is logged in to an account and thus agrees to the ROC and any other rules pertaining to ICE.
You can still have some common areas that anyone can view that provide basic info/social info/company info/etc. 

MDC

jdale:
There are specific terms given in the playtesting boards, you'll see them in the same sticky threads where the books can be downloaded.

Speaking as an individual (not for ICE) who is not a lawyer, my impression is that it is not too hard to protect specific text from being copied, but it's harder to own a general idea or even a game mechanic. I'm not aware of any instances of the sort of thing you are referring to, so I can't begin to even guess whether they are over those lines or run against the terms given on the playtesting boards (if relevant). If you have a specific concern, you might let Nicholas know the details.

OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol:
First, you cannot copyright an idea. Second, as RM started as a supplement to AD&D, IMHO, it's very hypocritical to try to "prevent people to use  the ICE Forums as a "crowd source" method to build their companies games and or solve problems they then profit off of."

Aspire2Hope:
Simple rule of IP - DO NOT PUBLISH IT IF YOU PLAN TO SELL IT!

Step 1 Protect IP by registering it (TM CC Patent)
Step 2 Publish to required standard
Step 3 Reap rewards or not
Step 4 Spend an awful lot of time/money chasing individuals for small amounts of money - unless step 3 was really successful.

markc:
OLF,
It seems the quote is not working right now for me but,

Note: Sorry being constantly disturbed while trying to type some may not make the most sense.

1) I have seen a few game companies and other companies have rules that state all content on their forums are property of that company and as such if an idea or solution to an issue is presented there it is the property of that company. So if another person is using it or publishing it it could potentially be an issue.

2) Crowded Sourcing: Can be very helpful but those helping a person to product material to sell is vastly different that helping someone in their home game.
IMHO, the second is being helpful the later can be seen as stealing, ie just because I am building a house and see some lumber sitting unattended generally I cannot take it and use it. 
The same can at times be said of ideas in specific circumstances. 

In general I know a few people who would be disappointed at not being told they were being used as a crowed source or were being used for material for other games then what they were commenting on. 

I can say that I was amazed when a friend of mine showed me some beta rules in the past year how many of the core ideas were talked about on the ICE Forums and even a house rule I talked about showed in in that game. In general I have no problem helping out home games but I am not interested in providing content that others can potentially make a lot of money for.

In general I can also say that I think forum members would like to know if that ICE's stance is to allow "anyone" to use the ideas and or comments they provide on the boards for profit. The reason why is that it a different type of forum then general ICE game help.

MDC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version