Forum > Rome

NPC listings

(1/2) > >>

PhillipAEllis:
I was wondering how useful a list of famous NPCs would, with full stats, skills, and other write-ups. Part of the attraction of the setting has for me is to have my characters run across the famous poets (it shows that poetry is my vocation) and get starstruck by the rich and famous.

Anyway, who would you list, and why?

markc:
 I think I would pick an era and then describe a Provence from history. So I would do a complete top down NPC write up that others could use.
 As you said you are a history buff I would try and make it as historically accurate as possible.
MDC

PhillipAEllis:
That's a great point that you make, regarding limiting NPC listings to specific time frames and provinces, and there are are sources, both primary and secondary, that can help with the process. There may also be scope for "more universal" NPCs; eg. the Julio-Claudians covered by Suetonius in his The Twelve Caesars with other major persons such as Sejanus, etcetera, as one such a listing. Or even thematic listings, such as soldiers, or authors, or historians, and so forth.

PhillipAEllis:
Partial proposed list:

Agrippa, Marcus Vipsanius (64-12 B.C.)
Archelaus of Cappadocia (d. 17 C.E.)
Aretas IV (late first century B.C.E.)
Artavasdes (1) (fl. first century B.C.E.)
Artaxes II (d. 20 B.C.E.)
Augustus

Balbus, Lucius Cornelius (2) (fl. late first century
B.C.E.)

Cassivellaunus (fl. mid-first century B.C.E.)

Diodorus Siculus
Dionysius of Halicarnassus
Herod the Great
Horace
Lepidus, Marcus Aemilius (d. ca. 13 B.C.)
Livia
Livy
Maecenas, Gaius
Nepos, Cornelius
Octavia
Ovid
Propertius, Sextus
Strabo
Tiberius
Tibullus, Albius
Virgil
Vitruvius

The above is a work in progress, listing important people that I know were around and about c. 24 BC.

I am currently wading through an encyclopaedia of Ancient Rome and trying to spot names that I've missed.

markc:
  It also might be good if you could group them by different factors. Such as military, government, noble, thinker, greek, builder, etc. 
MDC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version