Forum > Fantasy Grounds Rulesets for ICE

Fantasy Grounds II - Do you use it?

(1/3) > >>

Gunnar Greybeard:
Topic pretty much says it all. Just wondering if others are using it and how it is working out for them. I have had the RMC Ruleset for about 2 weeks now and things are going pretty good, at least as far as the character creation and campaign information processes. I have not started the actual campaign yet but am curious how it is working out for those already running their games using FGII.

DavidKlecker:
You know, when I first saw it I was excited, but the more I use it, the more unimpressed I get. The ruleset stuff is fantastic but in the end, FG is marred by a rather over done UI and it's not a very practical program when it comes to running a battle scenario. I much prefer Battlegrounds in that department regardless if that application has its own UI issues as well. My biggest gripe with FG is the lack of proper scrollbars. The way you move your maps and scroll in FG is horrendous. Why I can't use the mouse properly here almost ruins the whole experience for me. It's the one place where I literally cringe and almost throw my mouse across the room due to the frustratingly awkward controls. Also the menus on FG are confusing. Most of the time I find myself having to throw the mouse cursor over the image to remind myself what it does. Why not a standard menu? There are a LOT of things with FG I just don't understand why it was implemented the way it was. I find myself pointing at it as an example of how NOT to design a program. Its features are wickedly great through. But that doesn't save it. It's like having a car with just about everything in it, but trying to drive it is requires a manual and weeks of completely relearning a whole new way of driving a car.

lordmalachdrim:
Picked it up to run a game of RMC online for a few friends, after 2 sessions we went back to GRIP (even with it's extreme age and instability under anything after windows 95 we feel it works better).

markc:

--- Quote from: lordmalachdrim on April 16, 2010, 08:36:25 AM ---Picked it up to run a game of RMC online for a few friends, after 2 sessions we went back to GRIP (even with it's extreme age and instability under anything after windows 95 we feel it works better).

--- End quote ---

You can try and launch programs in compatibility mode which essentially uses the old OS kernel. But you still will have problems with DLL's IIRC.
MDC

DavidKlecker:
Never heard of Grip. You know those who are looking for alternatives to FG, Battlegrounds I do think is a better program. It doesn't have as many features, but what it lacks in that department it makes up for in the user experience. It's MUCH easier to pick up and use, although it still requires a manual for more advanced features, however, and here is where it shines... the map moves the way it is meant to move. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version