Forum > General Discussion

That would be cool to have an offical zine again. [Poll]

(1/10) > >>

kwickham:
I don't publish anything for ICE. I am just a fan.

However, I am buying the new RMU system.

What are your thoughts? Reply with your ideas, thoughts, or reasoning.

One thing that I realized later in my recent post is that the content from the Guild Companion issues is no longer available, for new releases. There is nothing to support the new game system similar to the online GC magazine. GC issues continued nearly monthly for 241 issues.

Trying to think of ways that small adventure content or rules can be released official, got me thinking about the former ICE Quarterly (1988-1991) magazine books (I think they were called) that I purchased back in the 80s.

I also see that there was a Rolemaster Quarterly from 2006 to 2007.

The time between the major volume publications is very distant.

History shows a ICE zines could be published for 2 to 3 years until interest dries up. The online version continued for decades.  I am all for a new limited zine run, to support the new RMU content and even other ICE products for at least 2 years (8 issues).

That made me very interested if I was the only person who would like new chunks of RMU (or whatever currently supported game system) in a smaller regularly released format at least for a limited production run, while the new system is popular. Especially, the idea seems relevant since the GC issues ceased in 2019.

Again, I don't work for ICE. This is just to put an possible idea or ideas in front of the publishers eyes. And if there is no interest, this may be helpful as well.

nash:
The question that immediately follows is who is going to do the work?

I would prefer the main ICE staff work on getting the core books out and early (essentially) core supplements.  Magazines can take an insane amount of time.

So yeah, I voted I would buy it, but I would be unhappy if it slowed or interfered with the main content.

Hurin:
Brian, Peter, and others at the Rolemaster Blog often do put out content. Peter IIRC was editor of the GC. So that might be a place to start.

I think quarterly is probably the way to go.

GrumpyOldFart:
To be honest I think at least 1/3 of it should be ideas aimed at drawing in new players. Given that, I'm wondering if it shouldn't be free.

kwickham:

--- Quote from: GrumpyOldFart on April 04, 2023, 11:48:13 AM ---To be honest I think at least 1/3 of it should be ideas aimed at drawing in new players. Given that, I'm wondering if it shouldn't be free.

--- End quote ---
It could be free PDFs. Or it could be $3+ similar to Rolemaster Quarterly 8 issues which are still available . I'm for a paid version if that means the content would be more significant.

If they wanted, they could do both. Modern publishers and content providers support subscriber premium and free content.

In a similar way, they could always publish formated in a PDF and eventually print on demand version first for those who pay to receive it first—premium content.

Then X amount of weeks later make the raw information or select portions that they own the legal rights to or permission—appropriate stuff for new players—unformated and without images, be available on the site in a digital format.

Did those RM Quarterlies eventually made their way to the GC issues? It seems like I've seen that content in some GC issues.

The small content, rules, setting, characters, creatures, lore, spells, weapons, and other stuff that isn't for new players and isn't core to the game could support the system flowing in between major book publishes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version