Forum > Fantasy Grounds Rulesets for ICE

Will RMU get the Fantasy Grounds treatment?

<< < (2/3) > >>

chook:
I think that each of these systems has their pros and cons however the ultimate thing that rules out Roll20 for me is that it is a hosted solution and the information is stored outside of my local territory where other (i.e. US) laws apply.  This immediately makes it a big nope.

Support for Fantasy Grounds would be very good.  I am bewildered why ICE support the older version of Rolemaster instead of the current RMFRP.  It seems to be a common theme across the business which makes no sense from the outside.

jdale:
RMC is still a current product line. And in terms of support for different RM versions in VTTs, a lot of that has used the implementation for one edition as the basis for the other, rather than starting from scratch. On Roll20, the development is being driven by people outside ICE, so it's not an issue of ICE choosing to support one thing over another. I think that is also true for Fantasy Grounds, but not 100% certain.

Isn't Fantasy Grounds also a hosted solution? You could use something that isn't, like Maptools.

chook:

--- Quote from: jdale on July 18, 2020, 11:15:28 AM ---RMC is still a current product line. And in terms of support for different RM versions in VTTs, a lot of that has used the implementation for one edition as the basis for the other, rather than starting from scratch. On Roll20, the development is being driven by people outside ICE, so it's not an issue of ICE choosing to support one thing over another. I think that is also true for Fantasy Grounds, but not 100% certain.

Isn't Fantasy Grounds also a hosted solution? You could use something that isn't, like Maptools.

--- End quote ---
Ah, makes sense if it isn't ICE devoting the resources.  Private individuals can do whatever they choose :).

I thought Marc was an ICE employee and the fact he was offering USD1000 for the character sheet because ICE wanted it developed.  My bad.

There may be an option for FG to be hosted but I can buy a version, put it on my infrastructure and then use it that way without having any external parties (besides the players I invite) have access to it.

Dakadin:
FG actually runs on your local computer and runs as the server.  With FGU there is a option to setup a cloud game but it is basically a proxy so the GM doesn't have to worry about setting up port forwarding for there game.

There isn't RMFRP for FG yet because I am one individual and building rulesets in FG takes quite a bit of time.   ;)

Siltoneous:

--- Quote from: jdale on July 18, 2020, 11:15:28 AM ---Isn't Fantasy Grounds also a hosted solution? You could use something that isn't, like Maptools.

--- End quote ---
Depends on how far up the chain you go to determine what 'hosted' is I guess.  You certainly pull down updates and purchased products from the FG servers. That said, you can run an entire FG game with no external internet access needed. Quite a few people do that to test functionality; i.e. I often fire up FG as the GM and start a campaign, then start FG again (in a second window) and join that campaign over the 'localhost' IP (non-public IP Space) address. I could have 10 machines on my local IP space, with no external connectivity and run a game. That said, maybe there is some kind of license check required at startup? But I'm even  unsure of that.

As far as local assets, they certainly are all stored locally in the various folders of the FG software. Thus, when I want to add a new map to a campaign (as Wolfshield shows so nicely in the recent Youtube video on FG and Maps) I simply drag it to that campaign's maps folder and it shows up. I fI want to add additional portraits or tokens, I can create (or download) them, and place them in the appropriate folder where all my purchased products are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version