Author Topic: Essence Hand  (Read 2458 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Essence Hand
« on: March 02, 2009, 04:53:23 PM »
What good is Staying?  It seems like you could gently push something against the wall/floor, but it "can't be moved by staying alone!?

So this is for hanging pictures or impromptu coat racks... Maybe a tradesman carpenters' List ;)

If you exert more force than the objects rest mass, it should move "by staying alone".

How about Staying as an ion drive for levitation; since floating/flying is so hard to do.

While I'm on this rant;
Vibrations I- Shouldn't this be a great defense vs. missile attacks? A vibrating arrow/bolt should have awful accuracy. Might break glass/pottery... Maybe good vs. potions/lit lanterns "If they fail RR." Yes, it's weak, but also a 1st lvl spell.

Staying I -Should be Staying II. 'Nuff said.

Telekinesis I - This is good for short people who can't reach the top shelf. Even if you were in jail and used this to move the jailers keys, every GM I've ever known would still have the keys make noise! Again, this should be TK II.

Vibrations II- Now, we're finally up to melee weapons, or actual bows/crossbows! Also, at 5x the vibrational poundage(?), the above should apply; make a RR -20, or so. Should make a nifty sander as well!

Staying II- Finally, after attaining the ability to grasp 5th lvl spells and about 8th lvl to cast it safely, you can make something "stay" at 5lbs force; but not move? What is the use? Perhaps we shall call this "Hang Heavy Coat, Temporarily."

Let's jump ahead...

Aiming - OK, you can give target archer (only) +50 OB to the shot they're about to make if you touch them, concentrate  on their mind and can see the missile the entire time. Call me crazy, (Mr. Crazy) but shouldn't the "target" be the missile? No where else on this list does a spell require the caster to mind link in such a way. Spells on the list just involve "pushing" stuff around. This type should be in a Pimp Archer's Mind list, or something. IMHO, it targets "missile."

On a related note, a Vibrations II + helmet would just be a bad day...
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: Essence Hand
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 08:59:53 PM »
I'll just quote what I said at http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2008/aug/openessence.html:

Higher level Staying spells can keep children or small animals from rushing into trouble. These spells also allow keeping a tool floating in a handy location. An item may also be kept in position for artistic, scientific, or engineering purposes. For the dishonest, it could be used to cause scales to misread. If it is kept ready as an instantaneous spell, a Staying could be used to prevent accidents due to dropping a hazardous item.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:22:49 AM »
One use I've seen is from Treasure Companion, where a Constant Staying spell cast on a saddle gives the rider a bonus to maneuver checks to remain seated.  I thought that was clever  :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:21:13 PM »
 Some have also tried to use it to lighten the weight of armor to help or eleminat the armor penalties. But I usually do not allow that effect to work on armor.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 07:58:15 PM »
Thanks for having the discussion everyone!

Rdanhenry: This does sound like a handyman's spell list!

Temujin: That's a pretty good idea. Carpets/brooms of flying could benefit. Maybe the deck of a ship is covered w/ staying so no one falls overboard or cargo doesn't shift around on choppy water. Since this would be pretty expensive, it would take an important ship to afford it...Mages guild working with slavers...

Markc: I always appreciate player ingenuity, but I agree w/ ya there. Even though I don't like the spell for the lvl it is and the results it gives, this doesn't fit with the description.

It really reminds me of 0 lvl cantrips from another system long ago.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline chukoliang

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 10:59:33 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think I've also seen this spell used to actually affect an attackers OB, kind of like air wall. Not sure though, because not many people I have seen actually use it (maybe the GM ruled the guy a fool for trying to use it to affect an OB negatively).

But I think the idea was like providence13 said, it was used to deflect attacks. Like an arrow, or weapons coming into the area of affect.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 11:43:43 PM »
Honestly I'm all for multiplying all the weights on any list involving Telekinesis, staying, and so forth by ten.  Even then it's substantially weaker than most other spells of the same level.