Author Topic: When did "No Profession" Come Into Being?  (Read 489 times)

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
When did "No Profession" Come Into Being?
« on: September 14, 2023, 07:23:16 PM »
I was reading RMC6 and noticed that, on 12.3 Unified Skill System Development Point Cost Table, "No Profession" was listed as being from Character Law. I went back to 1982 Character Law and did not see it mentioned. But I went to the 1989 Character Law and Campaign Law and saw it mentioned on page 88 with all costs for skill development. Was the first time that "No Profession" was mentioned in 1989? Or was there a book that I am missing between the two Character Laws?

I see that "No Profession" is also listed in the 1987 RMC2 11.8 Master Development Point Cost Table. I must be missing a Character Law in my library mix or something.

When did "No Profession" appear first? Inquiring minds and all that.

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: When did "No Profession" Come Into Being?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 08:45:17 PM »
The "No Profession" profession was introduced in the 1985 edition of Character Law & Campaign Law, specifically section 14.21 of Additional Optional Rules.

https://www.icewebring.com/ice-products/product_page/?product_id=224&product_title=Character%20Law%20&Campaign_Law_1300

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 07:41:18 AM »
Thanks Elrich. That's apparently one of the books not in my library. I don't see it on drivethrurppg either. Guess I will have to find another way to acquire it. What good is a library when volumes are missing which would feed my desire to know arcane information.

Offline cdcooley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 05:44:28 PM »
In this case you're not missing much. The same info is reprinted in the 1989 edition as section 14.2.1. But be prepared to be underwhelmed as you read the description.

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 07:12:00 AM »
I looked and found numerous copies on ebay, but not motivated at this time to purchase one. I was just curious if anything had changed since its first appearance, but you answered that cdcooley. Thanks.