Author Topic: RMU Talents  (Read 878 times)

Offline Grimsouled

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMU Talents
« on: August 04, 2023, 09:23:30 AM »
Hello all!

Haven't played Rolemaster since the 80's and just picked up the new RMU Core Law and Spell Law. Been impressed so far. We've started a small campaign based off the old MERP products and my players were wondering if there were any additional talents other than what's in the core book. Are there any official additional talents or has anyone put together a list of home brew talents useable in RMU?

Thanks.

Offline lordmalachdrim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMU Talents
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 01:40:55 PM »
From what I have heard one of the upcoming books will include more talents but I don't remember which one or how far out that one is currently.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 11:31:35 AM »
I was told here on these very forums that Creature Law will contain a lot of the more exotic Talents, like Wings and so on. No idea when it's going to come out, though.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 12:22:47 PM »
And the Character Companion will have more too.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 12:55:54 PM »

Now that Spell Law is available in print, what is the plan for further publications? :->

Offline Grimsouled

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2023, 06:40:26 PM »
Decided to try my hand at making some up (with a bit of assistance from WFRP). Thoughts?

Game Concepts
Reverse the Dice: If a Talent or Ability allows you to reverse the dice, you simply switch the ones and the tens digits. For example, a 19 becomes a 91. If the new result is 96 or higher, it is NOT considered open-ended.

Talents & Flaws

Combat
Accurate Shot   10/Tier
You have an uncanny ability to identify chinks in your opponent's armor with a ranged Combat Training specialization. Treat their AT as 1 less per Tier to a minimum of AT1.

Berserk Charge   5
You hurl yourself at your enemies with reckless abandon, sacrificing any chance of parrying on the round you charge as well as only being able to use your passive dodge or block. In addition to the normal benefits of charging, you force your opponent to take a Fear test vs your Influence(Intimidation) skill. Mild failure results in the target losing 1AP on the initial round of combat, 2AP on a Moderate, 3AP on a Severe, and all AP on an Extreme failure as they momentarily cower under your onslaught.

Unlucky Shot   -5/Tier
You have an uncanny ability to always hit your opponent in a particularly solid spot. All Ranged Combat specializations treat your opponent's armor as 1 AT higher per Tier to a maximum of AT10.

Discipline
Battle Rage      10
Requires Frenzy. You are better able to control your frenzy. While frenzied you are able to retain the Quickness portion of your DB. Additionally, as long as an opponent is within sight, you will move towards them instead of potentially attacking a friend. If no enemy is clearly visible use the standard Frenzy rules.

Physical
Enduring      20
Brittle      -10
Reduce (Enduring) or increase (Brittle) the effect of any physical (non-elemental) critical you suffer.

Other
Alley Cat      5
You are at home in shadowy backstreets. When using Stalking in an urban setting, you may reverse the dice on any failed Test.

Argumentative   5
You are used to arguing your points and winning. When using Influence if you are arguing or debating, you may reverse the dice on any failed Test.

Attractive      5
Whether it’s your piercing eyes, your strong frame, or maybe the way you flash your perfect teeth, you know how to make the best use of what the gods gave you. When using Influence (Charm or Duping) on those attracted to you, you may reverse the dice on any failed Test.

Bookish      5
You are as at home in a library as a seaman at sea or a farmer a-farming. Each Lore skill must be purchased separately but will include all of its specializations. When using the chosen Lore skill, you may reverse the dice of any failed Test.

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 10:29:52 PM »
Now that Spell Law is available in print, what is the plan for further publications? :->

Treasure Law is in the last stages of post-layout corrections. Should not be far out. Creature Law will follow. I think the Character Companion will probably slip to next year. Creature Law will have all the talents necessary to create creatures; some of them could be used for characters but they will generally make more sense as racial abilities. Character Companion will have talents intended for characters.

Regarding the home-brewed ones above, I have not done the math but I suspect reversing the dice is a pretty significant advantage, worth much more than +5, so it would make sense for a talent permitting reversing the dice to cost more than Prodigy, unless it's significantly narrower application than the skill.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Grimsouled

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2023, 07:48:18 AM »
Regarding the home-brewed ones above, I have not done the math but I suspect reversing the dice is a pretty significant advantage, worth much more than +5, so it would make sense for a talent permitting reversing the dice to cost more than Prodigy, unless it's significantly narrower application than the skill.

What would you suggest? Keep in mind that the Test must result in a Failure (75 or less) for this talent to trigger. So if you roll a 49 and have a net 30 bonus, you could not reverse the dice to a 94 since your initial total was 79, a Partial Success. Also, I need to add the stipulation that 01-05 rolls cannot be reversed otherwise these talents would make it impossible to generate a open ended low result...

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 08:34:18 AM »

Btw., will there also be some kind of discount code for RMU Spell Law, as was the case for Core Law?

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 03:30:10 PM »
[...]
Treasure Law is in the last stages of post-layout corrections. Should not be far out. Creature Law will follow. I think the Character Companion will probably slip to next year. Creature Law will have all the talents necessary to create creatures; some of them could be used for characters but they will generally make more sense as racial abilities. Character Companion will have talents intended for characters.[...]

Yeah! Thank you very much!

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2023, 04:57:09 PM »
What would you suggest? Keep in mind that the Test must result in a Failure (75 or less) for this talent to trigger. So if you roll a 49 and have a net 30 bonus, you could not reverse the dice to a 94 since your initial total was 79, a Partial Success. Also, I need to add the stipulation that 01-05 rolls cannot be reversed otherwise these talents would make it impossible to generate a open ended low result...

I would want to run the math and see what it does to the means. Those stipulations help though.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster