Author Topic: RMU spell: Change profession  (Read 8110 times)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMU spell: Change profession
« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2023, 01:36:06 AM »
[...]
The thing about the expertise skills now is that you don't need to develop them forever. For example, +50 in Footwork is generally going to be plenty. +75 in Multiple Attacks gets you that second attack.

And having +100 AND an additional +50 in OB gets you a third.

So, yes, the pure fighter is going to be a better fighter, but that's not a valid comparison because the pure fighter doesn't have the magic. [...]

But what you said about fighter skills applies to Magic just as much: Having the tiniest amount of healing magic will go a long way for the pure Fighter, and of course he will have all kinds of magical artifacts that amount to the same thing as knowing magic intrinsically.

You should be comparing the fighter/healer to a corresponding semi profession; a semi is also going to have a very limited set of expertise skills, and I think the fighter/healer is surpassing that. The fighter/healer is also surpassing them significantly in number of spell lists. Extreme specialization will always pay off, it's the semis that are rendered irrelevant and inferior by changing professions.

Except the, say, "Combat Medic" class I just made up as a semi between a Fighter and a Healer can do BOTH magic and combat skills improvement EVERY level, instead of switching professions every other level. Depending on the type of campaign, it may take a lot of actual play time between levels, which means the profession switcher will have to a be a lot more patient AND will be especially at a disadvantage when it comes to Open lists of their realm or realms.

A Combat Medic at level 20 will know a few Open lists and his Base lists (which may be a bit smaller in scope than actual Healer lists, but still more powerful at level 20 than Healer lists at level 10) up to level 40 (though overcasting at -400 isnÄ't something I'd recommend, there are all kinds of circumstanes where that knowledge can be helpful). The profession switcher will only be able to get to level 20 at max, and if he wants to use his DP efficiently, he will only know them to level 10.

Seriously, guys. Try. It. Out.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #161 on: October 02, 2023, 05:18:34 PM »
Sorry this is not the story telling that I want to play or the system I want to be a part of. If you want to change your profession the it is only one way and for me a non-profession level in between with level being consecutives leveling (not going back to level 1). Honestly it is your game and like my stipulation mentioned, you can add what you want. I did not see anyone back your thoughts here, but that does not mean everybody hates the idea. It is just not my idea of play for this system.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #162 on: October 02, 2023, 10:54:22 PM »
Both are unproblematic, as anyone who ACTUALLY builds a few examples will easily see. And at this point, I am unwilling to discuss this whole subject with anyone who hasn't done so.
For the sake of us all, let's just assume that not a single person on the forums has.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2023, 05:10:52 AM »
[ at this point, I am unwilling to discuss this whole subject with anyone who hasn't done so.
For the sake of us all, let's just assume that not a single person on the forums has.

What is it that makes you believe you'd be forced to post doodoo in a thread that you don't like? Just don't click on the reply button, and be happy, Cory.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #164 on: October 03, 2023, 05:28:15 AM »
Sorry this is not the story telling that I want to play or the system I want to be a part of. [...]

Well, that's a valid reason to be against the use of something in one's own campaign, of course.

Thanks, everyone, I think I found my answer: Level 15 for "change the whole skilling" profession change, and level 25 for "from now on, learn with the cost of the new profession" profession change.