Author Topic: Spell list for enhancing animal companion or bonded animal  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spell list for enhancing animal companion or bonded animal
« on: August 03, 2018, 05:29:30 AM »
I'm tryng to make a custom class for RMU, it's a sort of beastmaster but with shapeshifing abilities. The idea is that he is connected to an animal spirit of sort and he can use his power to control animals or manifest animal traits (there will be also some drowback, magic does't come free in my game world). The list to bind animals from Mentalism Companion is great for the purpose, and Nature's Movement / Senses from Animst Base in RMFRP Spell Low is a good start point for the animal traits part.
RM2 beastmaster had a list to enhance himself in battle, instead of that I would like to give him a list to buff his bonded animals, but I can't find it anywhere. Is there something like that in some manual? 

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spell list for enhancing animal companion or bonded animal
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »
You might check Druid base lists for some of what you want. I didn't compare to beastmaster, but Druid has both shape-changing and animal healing.

Alchemy companion has Organic Alchemist, but not sure how useful that will be beyond maybe giving you some ideas.

You might just need to make a new list using buffs from other lists, and change the descriptions / spell targets.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 10:27:50 AM »
That's a great idea for a list. I can't remember anything like that off the top of my head though. In addition to what White Wolf mentioned, RMU Spell Law has Mounted Ways, which you can use to heal and armor your mount, but that's not really what you're looking for. I looked through Elemental Companion, thinking perhaps it had stuff to augment elementals, but didn't find much.

I would love a list that is focused on healing and augmenting pets (all the existing Beastmaster ones seem to augment the BMaster himself). The lower level spells might perhaps give them bonuses to attacks and senses, and the high level spells doing things like increasing their size.

If it is any help, I did build the Beastmaster profession with individual skill costs in RMU. I followed the basic profession building rules, then individualized the skill costs according to an alternate rule I proposed. I know you're not building a Beastmaster per se, but if my work on skill costs is of any use as a guide, it is here (the thread started with the idea, then I later published the alternate rule as a Guild Companion article, then I updated the list with a few new professions and posted it in this thread):

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=17454.msg212090#msg212090
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 10:54:46 AM »
That's a great idea for a list. I can't remember anything like that off the top of my head though. In addition to what White Wolf mentioned, RMU Spell Law has Mounted Ways, which you can use to heal and armor your mount, but that's not really what you're looking for. I looked through Elemental Companion, thinking perhaps it had stuff to augment elementals, but didn't find much.

I would love a list that is focused on healing and augmenting pets (all the existing Beastmaster ones seem to augment the BMaster himself). The lower level spells might perhaps give them bonuses to attacks and senses, and the high level spells doing things like increasing their size.

If it is any help, I did build the Beastmaster profession with individual skill costs in RMU. I followed the basic profession building rules, then individualized the skill costs according to an alternate rule I proposed. I know you're not building a Beastmaster per se, but if my work on skill costs is of any use as a guide, it is here (the thread started with the idea, then I later published the alternate rule as a Guild Companion article, then I updated the list with a few new professions and posted it in this thread):

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=17454.msg212090#msg212090

I saw your work, Hùrin, and it was very helpful in creating the class, though my customized class creation in RMU took a different path.
Thank you both for the tips, it seems I'll have to do the list from scratch, and I'll start looking the lists you mentioned.
I don't have too much time lately, so it will take a while, but if there's a chance that someone else could find it useful  I'll see if i can post it in the vault when it's done.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 11:11:22 AM »
Gah, I just see that you did contribute to that thread and even added your own professions, so obviously you knew about my Beastmaster! Sorry about that.

Anyway, in terms of increasing a creature's size, I think the RMU rules now make that very easy to work out. You'd just have to figure out what level spell that would be.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 11:24:31 AM »
You might be able to adapt my enhancement lists from BASiL--they are meant for any living creature.

Living Enhancement: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16681.0;attach=3298
Living Change: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16681.0;attach=3299
Living Augmentation: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16681.0;attach=3300

You may want to check out Animal Bonds in BASiL Channeling here: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16688.0;attach=3368
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 11:57:42 AM »
Those look very good Brian; I even see the Resizing spell! It has made me think about having a Beastmaster as the Big Bad Evil Guy who fights the PCs in my next campaign. How cool would it be to see him walk in with a panther that is the size of a horse and has Chameleon skin?

One question for you: the spells on the augmentation lists talk about type A, type B, etc. augmentations. How do you handle those?

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 05:45:54 PM »
So one thought is to mix an evil "Beastmaster" with the "Unholy Warrior" spells from BASiL. That would be cool and reminds me of the evil shaman guy from the 2nd Midkemia book series.

Back to your question. I was using the modifier charts from RMCII "Changeling" Spell lists as a base guideline. See page 13 that had 5 categories (Type A to Type E) for: outward, simple, moderate, severe and non-humanoid. I keep meaning to rewrite them, but haven't had a PC with those augmentation lists yet. For now though, those work pretty well.
www.RolemasterBlog.com

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 07:35:18 PM »
I'd suggest the following RMFRP spells:
- Summoning Bond (Summoner Base, Channeling Companion)
- Familiar Mastery (Closed Essence, Essence Companion)
Also, you could rename any of the Warrior Mage, Monk and Armsmaster spells and consider them boons from the animal spirits.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 08:09:22 PM »
Neat. By the way, i really like what you did with the bonding spells Brian. The original way the spells worked in RM2 was the the first bonding spell on the list allowed you to bond one animal, and higher level ones got you more. That could quickly get overpowered if you had four war elephants bonded to you. I like how you changed it so that the first spell bonded a small creature, and subsequent spells bondee larger ones.

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 05:12:59 AM »
You might be able to adapt my enhancement lists from BASiL--they are meant for any living creature.

Living Enhancement: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16681.0;attach=3298
Living Change: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16681.0;attach=3299
Living Augmentation: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16681.0;attach=3300

You may want to check out Animal Bonds in BASiL Channeling here: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16688.0;attach=3368

Great work, Brian! For the purpose of my custom class it's probably better if I make a reduction, making 2 list out of the first 3, but it's an excellent starting point. I appreciate the idea of changing the looks of the animal, this would make having companions more viable. Even if you're high level enough, having a panther as pedt is useless if you can't ever enter a city because people will try to kill it, but if you can disguise it as a mule that's another story.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 10:06:47 AM »
Looks good and sounds better!

Just be aware that any GM in any game, ever, doesn’t want to deal with a player with more than a single companion/familiar/summons.

It bogs down the game and pisses off the other PCs when they have to wait for meatshield animal #74 of a menagerie to complete its action before any of them gets to go in a round...

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 11:24:11 AM »
Looks good and sounds better!

Just be aware that any GM in any game, ever, doesn’t want to deal with a player with more than a single companion/familiar/summons.

It bogs down the game and pisses off the other PCs when they have to wait for meatshield animal #74 of a menagerie to complete its action before any of them gets to go in a round...

Yes, that's why I really liked Brian's solution. Instead of giving the caster more animals, the spells instead give the caster a bigger one.

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 12:23:16 PM »
As a GM, I'm in agreement--too many familiars and animals are problematic! See my blog post over at the Rolemasterblog.com

https://www.rolemasterblog.com/familiars-how-should-they-work/
www.RolemasterBlog.com

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 02:40:03 PM »

There are at least 2 situations where this isn't really a problem... single player games, where you need a good NPC contingent most of the time anyway, or play-by-post/email where the pace really doesn't depend on the length of individual player action declarations.

In a multiplayer, face-to-face game, the GM should just insist that player responsibility for the menagerie be spread out and the "master" player be restricted to what commands one might practically give in the situation (and if the player actually controlling and rolling for the animal has other ideas, well, unless the "master" specifically used a spell/skill to back the command via game mechanics, that's okay... the beasts should have wills of their own).
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 02:21:58 AM »
In a multiplayer, face-to-face game, the GM should just insist that player responsibility for the menagerie be spread out and the "master" player be restricted to what commands one might practically give in the situation (and if the player actually controlling and rolling for the animal has other ideas, well, unless the "master" specifically used a spell/skill to back the command via game mechanics, that's okay... the beasts should have wills of their own).

That's how I would handle it. However, since you can bond only an animal every five levels I don't expect many difficult situations because at level 20, when you have a problematic number of beasts, usually my players aren't dungeon crawling anymore and combat situations are rarer.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 10:06:35 PM »
Here's the animal companion spell list I'm currently using, just as another example. Based on the familiar and companion lists e.g. from the Essence and Mentalism Companions. "Life" in the context of this list is a realm of magic, just substitute the appropriate realm (probably mentalism or channeling).

1. Companion I: The caster may make a pact of friendship and mutual aid with one animal up to 1st level. The animal will kill and even sacrifice its own life wittingly to fulfill its end of the pact. If either party is ever killed, the surviving member will be at -10 to all actions for one week. The caster and companion may sense each other’s emotions within the bond range (normally 10’/level of the caster), and the caster receives a +25 bonus on all Animal Handling rolls relating to the companion. This spell does not provide the caster with an animal, and takes one hour to complete.
2. Sense Sharing: Caster and a companion combine their senses, and use those best suited to their surroundings. The result is that both receive +20 to all Perception maneuvers for the duration. The companion must be within the bond range.
3. Call Companion: Caster calls one companion, which will then try to come to him. The companion will know the caster’s location. The range is ten times the current bond range.
4. Sense Through Companion: For the duration of this spell, caster may perceive the world through any or all of the senses of one of his companions, gaining any advantages or disadvantages of their sensory abilities. The companion must be within the bond range.
5. True Companion: Caster forms a “true” bond with one of his companions. A True companion gains enhanced intelligence (approaching human levels) and may effortlessly communicate with the caster telepathically when within bond range. A caster may only have one True companion at any time. If the caster or companion die, the activity penalty is  40 for all actions, reduced by 10 per week. This spell must be cast once per day for a span of two weeks.
6. Spell Channel II: The caster may cast a 1st or 2nd level Life spell, and it is treated for all purposes as if it was cast at the location of one of the caster’s companions.
7. Range Extension I: The caster’s companion(s) are considered in bond range at a distance up to 50’ per level.
8. Companion Speech: Allows the caster to converse in the general language of the companion. Thus, a caster with a bird companion could talk to other avians, a caster with a snake companion could talk to other reptiles, etc.
9. Locate Companion: Caster will learn the exact distance and direction to the companion, at that moment, if it is within range of the spell.
10. Companion II: Must be cast upon a creature who has been affected by a Companion spell for at least 1 month. Caster receives +50 Animal Handling for the companion. The total number of effective levels of companions may not exceed four (4). The lifespan of the companion is extended by one year. If either party dies, the survivor will be at -20, reduced by 10 at the end of each week.
11. Unbonding: The caster releases one of his companions. The animal may remain friendly to the caster but may not remain long in his presence (depending on the circumstances and its treatment during the bonded period).
12. Range Extension II: As Range Extension I, except up to 100’ per level.
13. Spell Channel V: As Spell Channel II, except up to a 5th level spell may be cast.
14. (setting specific)
15. Resistance Sharing: Caster and all companions in range share their resistance to magic, poison, and disease, using the most advantageous RR bonus (but each rolling at their own level).
16. Spell Bond: The next spell with a fixed duration (i.e. not instant or concentration) to affect the caster will affect one of his companions as well as the caster. The duration of the spell will be halved to reflect the sharing of magical energies. The effect of the spell must be possible within Life, although it may be cast from any realm.
17. Range Extension III: As Range Extension I, except up to 300’ per level.
18. Blood Bond: For the duration of this spell, the caster and one companion may exchange concussion hits at a rate of 5/round (up to their respective maximums), or one level of fatigue per round.
19. Spell Channel X: As Spell Channel II, except up to a 10th level spell may be cast.
20. Companion III: As Companion II, except the subject must have been a companion for at least one year, the Animal Handling bonus is +75, the number of effective levels is 10, the lifespan is extended by two years, and the activity penalty in case of death is -30.
25. Range Extension True: As Range Extension I, except up to 1000’ per level.
30. Soul Sharing: This spell goes into effect the instant the caster or True Companion’s soul leaves its body. The soul is stored in the body of the other until the body can be restored to a condition where it can survive again (this may require a variety of healing spells), or until 1 day per level of the caster has elapsed. If both parties die, both souls depart as normal.
35. Companion IV: As Companion II, except the subject must have been a companion for at least five years, the Animal Handling bonus is +100, the number of effective levels is 20, the activity penalty in case of death is -40, and the companion will share the caster’s full lifespan.
40. Spell Channel True: As Spell Channel II, except any Life spell may be cast.
50. Perfect Companions: Caster and companions are able to act and think in perfect unison for the duration. The caster may cast any lower level spell from this list once per round.
Notes: The caster may have no more than one Companion per 5 levels (round up). The total effective levels of all Companions is also limited by the Companion spells.
Notes: All spells which affect the Companion(s) require that the Companion is within bond range (normally 10’ per level of the caster), aside from Range Extension. As with all Life spells, a channel must exist through Awakened living material to the Companion. Communication and sensing are limited to the usual rate of 200’ per round.

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 10:30:43 PM »
Just on a quick glance through this is a great spell list. Does it have a name?

I kind of think channeling is the more appropriate realm since it contains a number of spells that really seem to suit channeling, and nothing really jumps out at me as a "must be from mentalism."

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 11:20:22 PM »
"Life Companions". Channeling makes sense to me too, but beastmaster was mentalism. I could see it working either way.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 04:15:20 AM »
"Life Companions". Channeling makes sense to me too, but beastmaster was mentalism. I could see it working either way.
Channeling make sense for my world too, but it's largely a matter of how magic works in your setting. In my specific situation there's no mantalism, so the choice was obvious, but I can see the other way around.
However, thanks for sharing the list.