Author Topic: Alternate skill progression question  (Read 1360 times)

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Alternate skill progression question
« on: May 17, 2015, 06:51:50 PM »
After my last martial arts class I got to thinking about how long it takes to get to a point where you can use a combat skill with any effectiveness and I am not sure the 5.3.2.1 progression really captures that. Has anyone thought about changing to a 3.5.2.1 progression for skills(specifically 2.3.1.1 and 1.2.1.0 since I use RMSS)? Would it better reflect the way people learn where the basics take time to get you to where are competent at something then your ability takes off with training followed by the diminishing returns. What problems could this raise in play?
It will be a while before I get to run a game again so i would like to get some help before I decide whether to try this or not.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Alternate skill progression question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:22:06 PM »
RMSS has EV skills and OCC skills.  I allow two EV skills for a bg option or one OCC.  This is the easiest way to speed up development and get large bonuses.

A skill may purchase  +10 permanent mod for one bg option, or a catagory a +5.  I allow a +25 to a skill for two bg options and a +15 catagory for two bg options.  Their is a talent in Character Lawthat provides six related skills witha +20. I have used it for several martial artist.

The current system already allows for fairly high starting skills values at 100, even a bit higher.  I think having 75 to 90 is about perfect.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Tommi

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 03:11:34 AM »
I can see what OP means. But  the skill should work more in batches of 5 e.g. first 5 ranks +3 next 5 +5 next 5... I agree that while practicing some skills (music, crafts, physical activity) after certain learning period you reach necessary level of expertise that allows you to learn things easier (until diminishing returns hits you on the face) (general learning  s-curve model).   But 10 ranks is already quite many and certainly too far. As we (RM players) don't want more bookkeeping current is better for the game.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 04:21:16 AM »
 Yes I have toyed around with the idea of changing the skill bonus progressions but I am not to a point where I would like to share my ideas.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 10:00:27 AM »
I can see what OP means. But  the skill should work more in batches of 5 e.g. first 5 ranks +3 next 5 +5 next 5... I agree that while practicing some skills (music, crafts, physical activity) after certain learning period you reach necessary level of expertise that allows you to learn things easier (until diminishing returns hits you on the face) (general learning  s-curve model).   But 10 ranks is already quite many and certainly too far. As we (RM players) don't want more bookkeeping current is better for the game.

You can divide the Skill Rank total by 2 when calculating competency or you can accept their would be some few people of extraordinary talent that would appear.

I do like the growing progression idea, to show how he gets greater return from a base knowledge.  Nice twist and a GREAT talent to add to my book.  Thanks.  Maybe I insert it from a teacher, or one of their allies...a gift to a channeling PC?  Hmm.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »
After my last martial arts class I got to thinking about how long it takes to get to a point where you can use a combat skill with any effectiveness and I am not sure the 5.3.2.1 progression really captures that. Has anyone thought about changing to a 3.5.2.1 progression for skills(specifically 2.3.1.1 and 1.2.1.0 since I use RMSS)? Would it better reflect the way people learn where the basics take time to get you to where are competent at something then your ability takes off with training followed by the diminishing returns. What problems could this raise in play?

I would think a switch from 5.3.2.1 to 3.5.2.1 would disadvantage starting characters significantly and not make a lot of difference to advanced characters. I don't think it's advantageous for the game to make starting characters more incompetent.

Specifically with regard to combat skills, your combat skill cannot really be evaluated on its own. If you have a nice solid +50, you're not going to feel competent if your opponent has a +100. That's a different circumstance than, say, a craft skill that is not used competitively.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 07:09:48 PM »
Thanks all for the feedback.

Tommi - Are you thinking +3 for the first 5 ranks, +5 for the second 5, +5 for the third 5, +3 for the fourth then back to normal? Or something else.
I was thinking just swapping the first two costs to make the bookkeeping easier even if it does make things tougher for low levels.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 10:47:37 PM »
I was thinking -25, +3,+4,+5, +1.  At 30 Ranks the skill bonus is 120, 40 points higher than the normal 80.

The bonus for EV skills at 30 ranks is 95 (in RM2 progression).  Occ is 110. Normal is 80.

For completeness, the ascending progression as EV is 150.  Occ is 180.  At two ranks per level, EV is 210.  Occ is 270.  That's 60 ranks purchased at level 30 (120 ranks for EV and 180 ranks for Occ).