Author Topic: Future Shadow World Material  (Read 1892 times)

Offline jaesyk

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Future Shadow World Material
« on: January 26, 2023, 08:06:33 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knows if or when there will be another SW release? Also with the release of RMU, are there plans to update the Shadow World Master Atlas for use with the new system?

Thanks  in advance.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Future Shadow World Material
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 09:07:37 PM »
That's difficult to answer at this point I suspect.  With Terry gone I think, legally, it's up to whoever all his assets went to.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 11:18:32 PM »
There was a statment after Terry died that ICE does plan to release Emer IV eventually. So I think that is still on the table. And I know there has been discussion of creating RMU stats for SW (though I don't know where that project stands).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 11:46:40 AM »
Maybe I am naive but it seems that would be one of the easier projects that could completed. Rereleasing the Atlas with just the relevant changes for RMU seems pretty easy. Not like it has to be rewritten from scratch. Only relevant changes would be required and it could be released in PDF form relatively quick. But maybe I am completely wrong on this. But it seems there is minimal changes that would be needed aside from some NPC building and describing in RMU the races. 

Offline nash

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 03:38:41 PM »
Getting the complete set of RMU books out may not be the easiest thing, but they will:
  • Give ICE some solid revenue (Mithril on Drivethru must be close by now)
  • Get a foundation and rule set for all to publish new material
  • Allows new players to pick up a fully supported system and expand the rather crusty old group here
  • Hopefully get most of the old fans on the new system (won't be all, but hopefully most)

So while I really look forward to more Shadow World, I think they'd be crazy aiming for a niche product when there is such a solid mainline product to work on.

Of course what is the licensing arrangements like, are the file formats the same... So much crud to wade through that we don't see here.

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 05:23:48 PM »
At the current pace, it won't be until 2024 or possibly 2025 that someone can sit down and purchase the RULES to play RMU. Since they "finished" the 1st book, RMU Core, it has been 5 or 6 months and there is not even a timeframe for the 2nd book, RMU Spell Law.  I dont imagine there will be a speedier process for release of the subsequent and necessary rule books.

Yes, having the rule books out should take precedence over putting out the source and setting material, BUT, sadly, with the glacial pace at which they put out any material, it could reasonably be 2026-2027 before they get anything out for their core setting. It could be hyperbole but it seems like it might be more likely that my dates are closer to the truth than what they will admit. 

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 09:52:29 PM »
At the current pace, it won't be until 2024 or possibly 2025 that someone can sit down and purchase the RULES to play RMU. Since they "finished" the 1st book, RMU Core, it has been 5 or 6 months and there is not even a timeframe for the 2nd book, RMU Spell Law.  I dont imagine there will be a speedier process for release of the subsequent and necessary rule books.

Yes, having the rule books out should take precedence over putting out the source and setting material, BUT, sadly, with the glacial pace at which they put out any material, it could reasonably be 2026-2027 before they get anything out for their core setting. It could be hyperbole...

It is hyperbole.

Core Law was released in December -- that is 3 months ago, not '5 or 6'.

The sky is not falling either.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 08:37:32 PM »
I didn’t say released, I said completed. Totally different things. At some Con in October they had a version of the Core book so it was done then but not available on drivethru for another 2 months. And it’s been 3 months since then. Totaling around 5 months.

The sky isn’t falling since I’ve no financial investment. In fact we’re currently running with the same rules RMSS for about 2 decades. It’d be nice to switch but since evidently that’s not a priority for ICE it’s not a priority for us either.

I look forward to trying RMU out in 3-4 years. Just think about all the gaming dollars I’ll spend elsewhere between now and then. 

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 08:53:15 AM »

I look forward to trying RMU out in 3-4 years. Just think about all the gaming dollars I’ll spend elsewhere between now and then. 

That's great. See you in 3-4 years then.

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 01:39:39 PM »
Your hurt feeling don’t change the facts.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 07:15:01 PM »
That was sure a short 3-4 years.

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2023, 07:53:47 AM »
Ok man your snark is the snarkiest. As I said, it’ll be great in 2026 to play a game of RMU using actually official and released rules. If they get released prior to then, I’ll be just as public with my apology as I am with my criticism.

I’d love to be wrong but between now and whenever I’ll be purchasing some other game and materials which, were I ICE, I’d be attempting to capture those dollars.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2023, 09:02:57 AM »
I'm sure they'd love to "capture those dollars".... but in the meantime, they all have bills to pay, and it's extremely likely that each of them considers his day job to be more dependable in that respect.

I'm fairly certain that for every one of the people working on it, RMU represents a commitment over and above full time job, family, time to decompress from said full time job, etc. While none of us can see their situation from the inside looking out, I take it as given that the reason they aren't doing more to "capture those dollars" is because doing more than they already are is simply unrealistic.

I won't claim to know, but that's my take.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2023, 09:33:34 AM »
Ok man your snark is the snarkiest. As I said, it’ll be great in 2026 to play a game of RMU using actually official and released rules. If they get released prior to then, I’ll be just as public with my apology as I am with my criticism.

Fair enough. We'll just have to wait to see.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2023, 12:16:18 PM »
Not that I am gonna use RMU. But I bought it to support ICE!
But I do find it disencouraging that we (they) still dont have a full game to play!
And dont know really when we (they) will.
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 09:22:16 AM »
At the current pace, it won't be until 2024 or possibly 2025 that someone can sit down and purchase the RULES to play RMU. Since they "finished" the 1st book, RMU Core, it has been 5 or 6 months and there is not even a timeframe for the 2nd book, RMU Spell Law. 

This post didn't age well.  :)

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 09:37:21 AM »
@Hurin

Be the bigger man! You had knowledge other didnt, and with such a small player base its bold to shame fans!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2023, 10:11:19 AM »
I let most things slide, but I do feel the need to intervene when incorrect information is being distributed. It was not 5 or 6 months since the Core Law was 'finished' (nor I think was the word 'finished' used for it, so putting it in quotes would not be appropriate), it was in fact 3. No one needed any insider information to figure that out.

And the developers were as clear as they could be where Spell Law was in the editing/layout/publishing process.

But I hope we are all good now.

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2023, 10:21:21 AM »
AS I PROMISED IT WILL BE AS LOUD IN MY PRAISE AS IN MY COMPLAINTS.

SPELL LAW IS OUT AND I AM GLAD TO HAVE IT.

Now, how about those other core books.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2023, 11:00:47 AM »
AS I PROMISED IT WILL BE AS LOUD IN MY PRAISE AS IN MY COMPLAINTS.

SPELL LAW IS OUT AND I AM GLAD TO HAVE IT.

I appreciate that you are living up to your word. Respect!

Now, how about those other core books.

Soon  :)