Author Topic: SysOp's Guide  (Read 2615 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
SysOp's Guide
« on: March 29, 2007, 02:13:36 PM »
I direct the readers' attention to the following TGC editorial:
http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2006/feb/wordsfromthewise84.html

where the probable topic list for SysOp's Guide is sketched.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline chk

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Gang Rolemaster
Re: SysOp's Guide
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 04:19:49 PM »
sniff. no starships...

(ducking rapidly, so as to avoid the Foam Bat of Retribution...)

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 04:21:52 PM »
sniff. no starships...

(ducking rapidly, so as to avoid the Foam Bat of Retribution...)

"This chapter of the SysOp's Guide will take technology to the next level by presenting rules and SysOp guidance for creating new equipment and vehicles."

vehicles includes starships (and indeed will probably be mostly spacecraft)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline lazarus

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 10:32:41 PM »
Looks like a good topic list :)  I suspect that integration with HARP Fantasy could be joined in with all the Campaign stuff as well - Science Fantasy and backwater worlds, and fantasy worlds with some supertech are all SF subgenres, after all.

The chapter I most look forward to is the creatures and species chapter ... defined guidelines for creating races!  Woo! ^_^

Laz

Offline pork

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 10:35:33 AM »
i would like to see rules for handling computer and software, because in some settings it is importent (e.g. cyberpunk). 

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 01:59:09 PM »
i would like to see rules for handling computer and software, because in some settings it is importent (e.g. cyberpunk). 

I presume you mean in addition to the Computer Issues section (adventuring chapter) and Life in Cyberspace section (Cybertech chapter), and if so, what is missing?

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline pork

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 02:50:24 PM »
yes you are right; and i'm not shure if there is a proper way of handling software and computers in a science fiction game.  :-\

in the old sm2 and cyberspace products, there where a list of sample programs and computers including cost, size of programs, speed of computers etc.
With these rules it was possible to see how many ressources your (e.g. ship-)computer has for running programs for astrogation, scientific, attack and defense etc. or for criminal attempts in campaigns with a "shadowrun" background where hackers have to be state of art with their equipment.

i know it is difficult to handle in a generic scfi rpg, but in some settings it can add flavour to the game.  8)