Forum > General Discussion

adventuring with a pacifist

<< < (2/3) > >>

rdanhenry:
RMU has entirely taken combat out of the advancement calculus, so the mechanical incentive for choosing violence is removed. This won't force anyone to change old habits, but it does broaden the types of stories that can develop without fighting against the (game) system.

foilfodder:

--- Quote from: MisterK on February 05, 2024, 01:26:33 PM ---
But in most cases, combat was not seen as the first option, if only because it tends to leave many people dead, and
- most of the time, you miss opportunities to ask questions
- sometimes, the dead people are on your side

--- End quote ---

Your second point brings up what I consider a funny memory:

The Rolemaster group I was with had a munchkin-type power gamer leading. Said munchkin made a deal with a deal with Sulthon the Dragonlord to provide our group with some muscle. We got to the meetup point and the place was crawling with lugroki. Said munchkin does not miss a beat, casting some sort of summon magic or item which wipes out the lugroki with little effort. Going through the remains of their camp we find the lugroki actual were the muscle Sulthon promised our munchkin leader.  Glad my character didn't negotiate with a Dragonlord then waste the troops. :)

jdale:
There is a character in my current campaign who has hemophilia, is terrified of actually getting injured, and does not fight at all. He's not philosophically a pacifist, but functionally. He has significant lore and social skills, has skills for advising and directing others during combat, and makes some potions. An unusual character, wouldn't be for everyone, but it's working for the player. The closest he ever got to making an attack was using a wand that cast a stunning spell, and he didn't even like doing that.

We handle experience by GM fiat, i.e., everyone goes up a level when the GM says it's time. So that's not really an issue. But as Dan said, the RMU rules will handle such a character just fine too if you want a system.

foilfodder:

--- Quote from: jdale on February 06, 2024, 01:23:07 PM ---There is a character in my current campaign who has hemophilia, is terrified of actually getting injured, and does not fight at all. He's not philosophically a pacifist, but functionally. He has significant lore and social skills, has skills for advising and directing others during combat, and makes some potions. An unusual character, wouldn't be for everyone, but it's working for the player. The closest he ever got to making an attack was using a wand that cast a stunning spell, and he didn't even like doing that.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like although the charater has hemophilia, the player themselves might have pacifistic tendencies.  I wonder what would happen if they had to battle constructs or other non-living opponents.... Glad to hear they at least use the Stun spell eventualky.

Magic items like wands and runes offer great non-injury combat alternatives. Spectre771 mentioned the bard and healer which have good combat spells that control rather than injury.   My second Rolemaster character was Mentalist which also has plenty of good spells to take down an opponent without injury.

jdale:
I assure you the player was an extremely murderous GM. It's a character choice. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version