Author Topic: The death of CHARTMASTER?  (Read 5275 times)

Offline jeff

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: The death of CHARTMASTER?
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 09:33:16 AM »
Yammer

I have to say that this is a great post and I really like the idea.

Jeff
JBailey

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 12:03:27 PM »
Thanks Jeff.

I would like to say I do not mind the attack tables as they are.  I have played RM for many, many years now and am as dedicated to the system as ever.  I feel it is the best rpg I have played. 

That said, there is always room for improvement.  In my play today, I try to refer to rule books and charts as little as I have to.  Certainly, my ideas about changing Arms Law are deeply biased by that preference.

I have converted scores of people to RM over the years.  I know the power of the crit tables and how much fun they are.  I also know that the attack tables are, in general, intimidating.  It LOOKS like a lot to learn.  Me, I have six copies of Arms Law.  I sold my 1st edition grey tables a while back, or I would have every version of Arms Law available.  I will be content with using Arms Law the rest of my gaming life.  That said, I would like to see changes.  Change requires a willingness to think outside the box.  IMO, who better that experienced RM GM's to pump for perceptions and ideas on possible changes? 

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 02:22:13 PM »
Just by thinking about it, I don't see anything wrong with the idea.  I'd need to run a few combats with it to see what I actually thought of it in play.  I can't think of any mechanical reason why it wouldn't work though.

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 08:57:29 PM »
That said, there is always room for improvement.  In my play today, I try to refer to rule books and charts as little as I have to.  Certainly, my ideas about changing Arms Law are deeply biased by that preference.

Maybe, instead of seeking to remove the charts from RM we could find a way to reduce the number of times they have to be used.
Now you have to roll on a table for each attack and for each crit, but what if we make an alternative "quick" combat system, where you have to roll on a table just once or twice to resolve the whole combat?
So if you don't like to roll on many different tables, or if you want to speed up play for some fights, you can use this quick system (the normal combat system would remain for those who don't mind the tables or like more detail in their combats).
An additional advantage of a system like that is that it could be designed to be used not only for handling fights, but any possible in-game conflict!
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.